What is Fermcap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it is food grade silicone. A few drops in the boil will help keep it from boiling over. Great stuff if you have a small kettle.

It's a food-grade de-foamer. It can be used to prevent boil overs when brewing and in the fermenter to prevent blow-offs.

Right from the horse's mouth;

Fermcap-S Foam Inhibitor: Prevent boil overs on the hot side, add a few drops per gallon for a nice rolling boil. On the cold side, Fermcap keeps the krausen in your fermenter to 1/2 an inch. Allows you to brew slightly larger quantities in your existing fermentation vessels. Use only two drops per gallon at the start of fermentation. Used in the fermenter, it increases the bitterness of your beer (retained IBUs) by about 10%! Comes with dropper lid. Enough for about 20 batches.

Hmmm - I had never heard that about increasing IBUs - anyone ever actually noticed this? I wonder if that's why my last pale ale seemed a little harsh...?

Hmmm - I had never heard that about increasing IBUs - anyone ever actually noticed this? I wonder if that's why my last pale ale seemed a little harsh...?

Was just reading the hops chapter in Daniels book and he states you can lose up to 15% of the IBU's through blow-off (pg 79). So, this is probably not so much a statement that Fermcap increases IBU, but more of a statement that you won't lose any.

Was just reading the hops chapter in Daniels book and he states you can lose up to 15% of the IBU's through blow-off (pg 79). So, this is probably not so much a statement that Fermcap increases IBU, but more of a statement that you won't lose any.

Kinda like you won't get swine flu from eating kellogs coco puffs. :D

Back