March pump question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madisoneyes

Reaction score
I am in the process of putting together the countertop brutus and have been looking for a deal on the march pump. One website I have ran across says that the center inlet pump is cheap and the "real deal" side inlet version is better...Is this true? If so, why?

The center inlet model usually has a 3/4" inlet that you'll need to reduce to whatever diameter tubing you use.

I've heard that the center inlet pump is easier to prime but have no personal experience with the center inlet pump. The "standard" 809HS-PL is the pump I have.

The center inlet has 3/4" male AND 3/8" female. A 3/8" male quick disconnect is what I orderd. (haven't received it yet) I got the march off of ebay for 104$ shipped.

Someone on ebay was selling a lot of these (the 1/2" x 1/2" inline version) for $105, free shipping. That was the deal. They are gone now.

BrewMaster's Warehouse sells same version (ignore the picture there) for $140. His comes with the plug at the end, which is nice.

The center inlet has 3/4" male AND 3/8" female. A 3/8" male quick disconnect is what I orderd. (haven't received it yet) I got the march off of ebay for 104$ shipped.

I have 2 of the center inlet pumps and never noticed the 3/8" female on the inside and just checked, and there she was. Thanks for pointing that out.

So I guess the story is that the center inlet pumps work fine and I shouldn't worry about center inlet versus side inlet versions

So I guess the story is that the center inlet pumps work fine and I shouldn't worry about center inlet versus side inlet versions

Actually, the center inlet is rated for 7.5 gpm, vs. the 6 gpm for the one I have (this from memory). Don't know why.

I don't like the internal 3/8" threads on the inlet side. No reason, but I don't want my wort running over them.

Does anyone know if the centre inlet pumps available in 220V versions?

I live downunder so need a 220V version to use on our 230/240V supply and I would much rather have a centre inlet than inline it would prime a whole lot better. The internal threads could be drilled out if you are worried about threads in your wort but there are probably many more threaded connections in your system anyway.

Getting a bit OT one of my mates lent me his March pump and I made up a little stand for it out of some stainless scraps he had. I installed an elbow on the inlet of the pump with the pump outlet vertical. We used it last weekend and he said that it had never ever worked as well as it did on the brewday.
phoca_thumb_l_8_marchpump_stand.jpg

I have just made a 150L copper kettle (40 US gallon) and we made a 130L batch of a blonde ale for International tech a friend to homebrew day. There are some more pics on my brewclubs website if anyone is interested.

Cheers from the land downunder :mug:

I am in the process of putting together the countertop brutus and have been looking for a deal on the march pump. One website I have ran across says that the center inlet pump is cheap and the "real deal" side inlet version is better...Is this true? If so, why?

Actually, the center inlet may be better for my countertop brutus design as it'll take less space in the bucket and a couple fewer parts to hook it up. They're not quite as easy to find though.

The center inlet model doesn't have a mounting bracket. Not sure if that matters to you but it's one of the reasons I went for the side inlet ones.

Went to Ace to pick up my cooler, saw that FedEx had delivered my McMaster-Carr order. Mash tun is done. Here's the march with fittings:

vlcsnap-2009-11-11-11h33m34s251.jpg

Bought my pump from USAPumps on Ebay. Was a little slow delivering, but good customer service. I'll be buying my next one from them when I go automated.

I didn't have any problems, they sent the UPS tracking number the day I bought it and it was in hand 2 days later.

Back