Is my yeast dead - where do I go from here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrigh1st

Reaction score
During my first attempt at brewing beer I think I may have killed the yeast by pitching when the wort was way too hot. How will I know if I killed it? If I did kill it is there anything I can do to save it?

Please help! Thanks

What temp did you pitch at? If you don't see any activity (airlock, krausen forming, etc) in the next few days, that would be a sign there isn't anything active.

There's nothing you can do to save it. You can pitch more yeast though.

If you get no activity in your fermentor based on a hydrometer reading (not just airlock bubbles) after, oh, four days, then I'd assume it's dead. Of course, if you know you pitched it into 150 degree wort, then it's dead regardless.

Unless you have an incredibly small mouth, oral resuscitation is out of the question! :D
To start with, what was the temp at which you pitched?
2, how long has it bee since you pitched?
3, Type of yeast?

I'm pretty sure it was over 140...I just did it about 20 minutes ago. If it is dead, do I have to dump it?

thanks for the help...so if I go get more yeast I should be able to add it tomorrow night and it won't hurt anything?

If you pitched at 140 you need to do another pitch with more yeast (when it is below 80 degrees) The original pitch shouldn't hurt the beer.

Back