Forgot to put water in airlock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyHD

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a batch of Brewer's Best Irish Stout and pitched the yeast around 530 PM. I noticed today at 1230 that I forgot to put any sanitized water into my airlock. I then filled it up with sanitized solution.

Do you think my brew will be okay or are all of my efforts wasted?!

You'll probably be fine if you followed good sanitization beforehand. You gave it some protection by putting the empty lock on. I wouldn't worry about it; especially if you have signs of fermentation. Any signs?

You'll be fine. Your beer needs oxygen in this stage anyway. Some breweries still ferment in open containers. No worries.....

Thanks! I've been a forums reader for a few months now, but that was my first post. It's bubbling now, only after thirty minutes of a water-filled airlock!

I had water from my airlock sneak into the fermenting beer and it infected the batch. Ever since then, it's been vodka.

Sanitization is like wearing seat belts. It really doesn't matter if you buckle up or not until you actually get into an accident. Then you're a lot better off if you had your seat belts on. Likewise, infection isn't always going to come for you. You're just a whole lot better off if you're prepared when the nasties come your way. So to follow the analogy, you thought you buckled up when you first got into the car but you were wrong. Do you now buckle up and continue on your way or pull over and jump in the ditch fully expecting your car to explode any second now?

Back