Ooops. I forgot bottling sugar. Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I just opened the first bottle of Brown Ale that I bottled 20 days ago and it was flat! I checked, and sure enough, I have an extra bag of bottling sugar that I forgot to use. Is there a way of saving my beer? Would it work to open each bottle, drop in carbonation tabs and re-cap?
Beerbeque
Brewin' and Quein' in the Sierra foothills.

Yes. Do that. I suggest Munton's tabs over the other kind, because the tab size is smaller and you can adjust for bigger bottle size (if you have any big bottles). For instance, a 12oz bottle gets 4 tabs for normal carbo level, which means that a 22oz'er would get 7. If you use the other kind (which are measured out as one tab per 12oz bottle) it gets more difficult to correctly carbonate bigger format bottles.

you could do that or try to use a tsp (or less!) of sugar into each bottle.

Man, man, man...I gotta say no way on that one. Trying to measure out the correct amount for each bottle, then trying to get the sugar into the neck without spilling...bad news bears!

small funnel and a measuring spoon... no problems. though I would say that if one had carb tabs it would be a better way to do it.

but, it's far from impossible to do it w/ priming sugar, so long as you're not rushing it too much.

Yep, those Munton's tabs are the way to go. I have tried the table sugar, Coopers drops, and Muntons tablets methods, and far and away the Muntons tabs are the best choice. Easy to do, and you can measure the exact amount needed for a particular level of carbonation.

Just be sure to swirl up the bottles every few days or so while the bottles are carbing up. Those tablets have a habit of dissolving at the bottom of the bottle and not mixing into solution, meaning that it takes forever for them to carb up on their own unless you help them along.

I jacked up and got a flat batch (Tried bottling from the keg) all of it....flat as can be.

I am about to finish my ahs order tonight....it's going to include $3.00 worth of Muntons Carb Tabs.

DO NOT try and measure out sugar on a per bottle basis.

Back