Oatmeal Stout Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bottled my batch and tasted it flat. Simply amazing the moment it hits the tongue.. I brewed this in a 1gallon and will definitely be brewing this again in 5 gallon formay

Really like the look of this recipe so brewing it right now. However it's morphed into a Founders Breakfast stout as I thought it sounded good to add some chocolate and steep some coffee at FO. Bumped up the gravity to 1.062 so well see how it goes.

Hey all what color was ur beer when in primary. I thought it'd be more black mines like a light brown milk chocolate color. I also used 2 packs of 04 with pure i2 aeration and was surprised that the krausen only got about 1/2" before it started to fall. Last time I used that method with 04 I had to affix a blowoff tube.

Hey all what color was ur beer when in primary. I thought it'd be more black mines like a light brown milk chocolate color. I also used 2 packs of 04 with pure i2 aeration and was surprised that the krausen only got about 1/2" before it started to fall. Last time I used that method with 04 I had to affix a blowoff tube.

Mine s a dark brown rather than black, but i did get that half inch to an inch only of krausen. Will be tasting a conditioned bottle this weekend when my old man gets into town.

I'm kind of new to all grain (haven't brewed any beer yet).

Let's say I just buy grains from LHBS, should I assume 70% efficiency?

I'm kind of new to all grain (haven't brewed any beer yet).

Let's say I just buy grains from LHBS, should I assume 70% efficiency?

That's the average, so you could run with that for your first brew. If you give details on your equipment some may be able to help you determine of you'll get better or worse, but in reality 2 people can have essentially the same mash tun, same kettle, and get different efficiency's. How long you sparge for, water chemistry, etc all play a role in what kind of efficiency you'll get.

So, I would just assume 70%, take good notes, and dial it in with a few brews.

Second time all grain brewing, Made the Centennial blonde in these forums the first go around, turned out splendidly.

For this one I completely forgot to throw the hops in and my power coincidentally went out just as I started cooling it down.

Buddy of mine said I could try dry hopping, has anyone done that with this recipe? Should I dial the 2 ounces back to 1?

Any thoughts or advice on my general buffoonery are welcome :)

I just finished drinking my first batch of this (first time brewing as well). I had a problem with the mash (temp was too high) so I had less fermentable sugars. It still taste good. I added cocao powder and cold brewed coffee to it. Taste like a O'hara I must say.

:mug:Thanks for the recipe! I made this and brought a bottle to the lhbs and the guys loved it!! They said it hit the style dead on and it was only in the bottle 2 1/2 weeks! Followed the OP but I only used 4 oz priming sugar to fit the style.

Thanks for posting this! I just ordered the ingredients for this online 2 minutes ago, can't wait to brew it this weekend as it will be my first time brewing an all grain stout recipe, a style I've only recently come to love. Also chose it as my second all grain recipe since coming back from a 4 year brew-break because of the simplicity and at only $24 it's hard to beat. Stay tuned for pics :ban:

stout.gif

Latest posts

Back