non-craft drinkers complaining about homebrews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatBeerSleep

Reaction score
I admit i'm a newbie to home brewing but I'm a professional beer drinker(IMO). Every time I have one of my friends who don't drink craft beer(i.e. only drink bud or Heineken etc.) will always have something bad to say about my homebrews. Now on the other side, a craft beer drinker will enjoy my beer. Is it their palettes? do they :mad:hate:mad: themselves? I'm a avid believer that one should not be cheap to themselves, so why drink crap beer?

Most likely it's due to what their palates are accustomed to. There are a lot of people who enjoy BMC and simply stop there. I wouldn't take it personally and just chalk it up to being a matter of differing tastes.

I think it goes back to the age old saying, "Haters gonna Hate". I get a lot of **** for being a beer snob from my old bmc drinking friends, but at the end of the day ill have a miller lite if thats all thats around.

Unless your making a BMC clone why would you expect anything different?
Bud and Chocorange Sweet Stout have wildly different flavors.
I wouldnt expect that someone who likes one of those would like the other.

I would stop giving them your homebrews and tell them to bring their own beer when they come over since they're insulting the free beer you're providing.

What KT said. I had a friend who said Ed Worst Apfelwein tasted like apple juice and urine. He also liked my super hop flavored IPA bit only after he put it in the freezer for a while. Same with my milk stout.

He gets no more beer from me and always bitched how I don't like to share even after I explained why.

You flat out insult my beer you don't get any. I have had people try my beer and politely say " its not my thing" and I am fine with that or other constructive criticism. If someone says this beer taste like crap ( 9 times out of 10 it is a BMC drinker) I tell them they are a smurfing idiot and don't know what they are taking about and they don't get any more beer. Luckily almost all my friends either A like craft beer or B don't ***** about free beer.

When I give homebrews to either BMC people or non craft beer, I preface it by saying: "this may not be your thing. It's ok if you don't like it, if you don't like it, I will drink it and get you something else." My sister in law who dislikes beer very much but is a wine person, did backflips for my IPA.

... Some people aren't accustomed to fresh, hoppy beers. I try and keep a blonde or a hefe around for those folks (hell I even like those from time to time).. I give beer out to my beer loving friends, if they return my bottles I give them more beer. I explain to them that the bottles cost more than the beer that's in them.

I was once a BMC person, well yeungling lager mostly. I called any ipa I tasted "battery acid"... Until I started making my own, and had the beer fresh, and I was blown away.

I'm still learning to like darker beers, I accept other people's palettes as long as they are polite. Luckily I haven't dealt with any jerks, yet.

OP don't worry about it. Just like some people like milk chocolate, some dark chocolate, some white chocolate - some people like complex beers, some just want something cold. If you like your beer that's great. If your friends who like the same style like your beer great.

If you really feel the need to impress your Bud/Heinie friends then brew something specifically for them, I'm sure you can find a recipe for a very non-descript lager on here... if you search hard enough... or just take a good recipe and remove the hops and specialty grains.... maybe.... (boy these had better be some good friends to be worth the effort) :D

I agree with you all..I have cut a couple people off because of various complaints. I want constructive criticism to better myself as a brewer. I understand every beer isn't for everybody but it seems the non-craft beer drinker has a small tolerance for good beer.
PS- When i'm out I will drink a bud or what not if there isn't anything available.

I've determined that my friend just doesn't like beer, even though we've been drinking Bud for twenty years. We recently went to a great beer bar and I recommended a few she might like, lighter lagers and even a fruity beer. She drank them, but didn't like any of them. When I invited her to my super bowl party, she asked if I had any normal beer, or did she have to bring her own. She did bring, and actually hollered "That smells disgusting!" When I poured myself a coffee stout. It's okay with me. Still friends, but I know not to ask her for feedback on my homebrew.

Yeah, I served a friend of mine a Stone IPA I had in the after asking him what beer he liked... He didn't know. I started to ask him if he liked lighter/darker stuff, and he said "i don't like dark beer." All I had in homebrew was a nut brown ale and a smoked porter...

He took one sip of the IPA and put the glass down... I told him he didn't have to like it but I didn't have anything else at the time that would really fit his taste. In reality he might have liked the brown ale better, it was a more mild one make with a little brown sugar and not a ton of hops!

My first beer i ever brewed a coopers no boil extract kit when i opened a bottle for my brother he said this is good it taste like Natty ice i laughed and said i don't appreciate the compliment haha hes learning to like my most recent brews partial mash and extract kits he doesn't do backflips over them but hes a BMC drinker from the country so he swears by coors but has never wasted a free beer even if he didn't like it all that well its ironic his favorite beer i brewed was my first brew the famous Natty Ice clone

Do not cast pearls before swine, grasshopper!
Only serve your homebrew to those who are elevated enough to enjoy it!

Being a huge bud light fan for many years before awakening my palate to craft/home brew, I can say that for me it was lack of trying. When I went to the store I would try to look for something different, but always ended up leaving with BL. I was "comfortable" with BL and knew it wouldn't do me wrong and i wouldn't waste money on something i didn't like. After I came back from Iraq, I did not really even want to drink again. I hadn't had a drink in over a year and was tired of tasteless beer. Slowly yet surely I would pick up a sixer or a bomber of this or that, until I discovered what I liked. Even during this period, beers I didn't like before became more flavorful. I developed my palate. Don't get me wrong, I will still drink BL at parties and the such.

When I hear folks referring to BL, etc as real beer, I just chalk it up to their lack of experience. They have not discovered anything better than their beloved BMC. My advice to you would be to brew all of the different varieties of beer to find what they like. The only downfall will be that you will be the only one to like it and be stuck with all of that beer...oh wait that's not a downfall at all. It just means more beer for you! :drunk:

Thank you for your service! Prost!

Being a huge bud light fan for many years before awakening my palate to craft/home brew, I can say that for me it was lack of trying. When I went to the store I would try to look for something different, but always ended up leaving with BL. I was "comfortable" with BL and knew it wouldn't do me wrong and i wouldn't waste money on something i didn't like. After I came back from Iraq, I did not really even want to drink again. I hadn't had a drink in over a year and was tired of tasteless beer. Slowly yet surely I would pick up a sixer or a bomber of this or that, until I discovered what I liked. Even during this period, beers I didn't like before became more flavorful. I developed my palate. Don't get me wrong, I will still drink BL at parties and the such.

When I hear folks referring to BL, etc as real beer, I just chalk it up to their lack of experience. They have not discovered anything better than their beloved BMC. My advice to you would be to brew all of the different varieties of beer to find what they like. The only downfall will be that you will be the only one to like it and be stuck with all of that beer...oh wait that's not a downfall at all. It just means more beer for you! :drunk:

In the past week I have been insulted twice.

I was invited to a dinner party with friends I have not seen in years. I asked what can I bring. Answer, bring beer. I ask, what kind of beer does X like. Answer, he likes IPA's. I bring a Growler of IPA.
We arrive.
I ask X if he has a glass I can pour into.
X answers, yea, let me get it out of the freezer.

24 hrs later.
Super Bowl Party.
Host. Bring some home brews!
Me. Ok, I have 2 growlers, will bring my IPA and Brown.
The host loves my IPA (even in a non frozen glass).
I pour him the Brown. He tastes and dumps down the drain.
Apparently he didn't care for that one. Dumped it right in front of me.
I would have drank it.

Most of my friends drink miller lite almost exclusively. If they want "a good beer" they'll drink Guinness or blue moon or leinenkugels (not that those aren't good, but they never really ventured outside of what they know). I don't mind offering them a beer if they don't have any but it really grinds my gears when they complain that the old Rasputin I offered them "is gross" and can't even say why they think so. While it is tempting to fire back at them I usually shrug it off and tell them it puts hair on their balls and that they should drink it unless they want me to do it for them.

That being said, I have no issues with terrible beer except for icehouse, miller lite and steel reserve. Old style is my go to cheap beer.

After I came back from Iraq, I did not really even want to drink again.

Kinda the opposite for me, here. When I got back from Afghanistan, I was ready for a drink after all that time of them hammering G.O. #1 into our heads. :D Spent 4 months in SV for AIT back in '07. Don't miss that place one bit. lol

I have an idea for friends that say they did like dark beer blind fold them and let them taste it that way they won't know if it is light or dark.

I was invited to a dinner party with friends I have not seen in years. I asked what can I bring. Answer, bring beer. I ask, what kind of beer does X like. Answer, he likes IPA's. I bring a Growler of IPA.
We arrive.

24 hrs later.
Super Bowl Party.
I would have drank it.
What testicular fortitude to dump the beer in front of you!

We arrive.

24 hrs later.
Super Bowl Party.
I would have drank it.

I experienced the same thing with one of mine and my brother who love to drink beer. (Miller lite) Heineken and a few others. This is the same beer that I brewed for Christmas lights lighting 2 yeas ago that ended up getting good reviews from everyone that stopped by. Emptied keg in 2 evenings. Was a Belgian tripel with a 1+% abv kick. Poured half a pint on neighbors tree. I caught him and his excuse was "I'm catching a buzz". Maybe I was being sensitive and he did have to go paint a building his sbwmbo owns.... I still would have drank it...... :drunk: Same guy will come over an finish off the bigger part of a case on his own in 3 hours or so. I'll have 3-5 he will drink the rest, sometimes leaving 1 or 2 for my fridge. Maybe I am just a whining b!+<#.

I experienced the same thing with one of mine and my brother who love to drink beer. (Miller lite) Heineken and a few others. This is the same beer that I brewed for Christmas lights lighting 2 yeas ago that ended up getting good reviews from everyone that stopped by. Emptied keg in 2 evenings. Was a Belgian tripel with a 1+% abv kick. Poured half a pint on neighbors tree. I caught him and his excuse was "I'm catching a buzz". Maybe I was being sensitive and he did have to go paint a building his sbwmbo owns.... I still would have drank it...... :drunk: Same guy will come over an finish off the bigger part of a case on his own in 3 hours or so. I'll have 3-5 he will drink the rest, sometimes leaving 1 or 2 for my fridge. Maybe I am just a whining b!+<#.

Someone comes over to my house and drinks half a case of my beer ... they're paying. I don't mind sharing, but HALF A CASE for ONE GUY!?!?

Everybody has different tastes, just look at the variety of craft beer that's available. Most, if not all, are an acquired taste so it's not surprising that folks who drink light, commercial beers will not initially warm up to beer with flavor. I love Hobgoblin's motto "What's the matter Lagerboy, afraid you might taste something?" With that said, it doesn't excuse rudeness or wasting something. I suggest small tastes for anyone who might not like your brew. It gives them an out if they don't like it and it prevents wasting good beer. I have friends who have started warming up to IPAs but it's literally taken years of little sips along the way.

Maybe make up your own little flight set; an oar with recess for 4 oz glasses. The let them select which one they want a full glass of.

^had that happen with an ipa of mine except I was on call so I couldn't finish it and the three people all dumped their pints.

I would be offended if someone dumped an inexpensive beer that I gave them out of my fridge. It's 100x more offensive if they dump a beer you made yourself. Either way, it's a waste of beer and a waste of money.

Luckily I don't think I've ever known anyone to do either. Or at least they've never done it at my place or in front of me somewhere else.

I usually warn people before I offer them my beer so that they can't claim I just threw something they didn't like on them. But the non-craft beer drinkers I've had taste my homebrews weren't BMC drinkers. They just didn't drink beer period. They've given positive feedback, though. To be honest, I can't actually think of any BMC drinkers I know... Maybe I don't know any.

I have small taster glasses next to my kegerator. I use them all the time and they are a great glass for handing our samples.

I understand that people have different tastes, and there is a good chance that someone who drink BMC all the time is not going to like a pale ale or stout or IPA. I'm not offended.

^had that happen with an ipa of mine except I was on call so I couldn't finish it and the three people all dumped their pints.

That's about a litre and a half of your homebrew that got dumped.

I have to assume you are posting from prison where you are serving time for a triple homocide.

Back