Did I over crush my grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewski08

Reaction score
First time using my barley crusher. Adjusted rollers for a finer crush. Roller knob next to the crank is at about 12:30 and the other knob is at 11:30.

Hopefully these pictures will help.

Thanks!

image-2939481693.jpg

image-2635245320.jpg

image-1329684888.jpg

It does look like a very fine crush bur wethr or not it causes problems will depend on your equipment and process.

I have the same mill and gap setting and get a similar crush. I batch sparge and use a stainless braid. Its not prone to stuck mashes at all so I have no problems.

i do a hybrid batch/fly sparge as outlined by Biermuncher. i filter with a braided hose, and i also plan to add rice hulls.

really hoping i don't get a stuck sparge tomorrow.

Skip the hulls and sack up like a man! ;) Seriously though, time to learn if that setting is going to work on your rig -- no time like the present. If it does stick on you, stir in some hulls, recirculate and start again. Not a big deal.

Yes. I do this when my strike water is coming up to temp.

Agreed! Just a little bit of water (I use ~ 100 ml for ~ 9 lbs of grain) thoroughly mixed in will soften the husks so they stay in large pieces, even with a small gap setting. Too much water and you can gum up the rollers a little bit.

Agreed! Just a little bit of water (I use ~ 100 ml for ~ 9 lbs of grain) thoroughly mixed in will soften the husks so they stay in large pieces, even with a small gap setting. Too much water and you can gum up the rollers a little bit.

About a 1/2 cup

Meaning...........wet it?

Yep. When I toured Blvd. Brewing Co. 2 summers ago, they showed us their mill setup which mists hot water on the grain as it falls into the mill hopper.

Helps a bit with dust as well as lets them get the best crush and thus best efficiency.

Interesting, but how do you evenly wet the grain at home?

A fine mist as the grain rolls on a conveyor belt will generate consistent wetness..

Only way I can imagine is to spread the grain on a sheet and spray it.. then repeat.. this would take forever..

Nah, it doesn't take forever. Just put the grains in a bucket or other container, mist the top, stir well and repeat. The grain will have a different feel to it when it's sufficiently wet (some say leathery). This made a BIG difference in my crush quality, especially since I use a corona-style mill.

Latest posts

Back