Wyeast 2308 munich lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate00

Reaction score
I used Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager for a batch of Munich Dunkel. I pitched the yeast at about 68 degrees, and let it stay at that temperature for 12 hours to get started. I then lagered around 48 - 50 degrees for two weeks.

My issue: during primary fermentation, the smell coming out of the beer thru the airlock had a funky egg or light sulfur smell. It reminded me of scrambled eggs. I racked to secondary a couple days ago and could taste the egg smell in the beer. I'm gonna lager it in secondary at about 35 for a few weeks.

My question: is this normal for the yeast strain, and will the smell/ taste go away with some time? Or did I get a funky package of yeast that ruined the beer.

I've lagered other beers that turned out great, and I'm really good about sanitizing, so I doubt it's that.

Any thoughts?

quit racking the damn beer and let it lager...A lager yeast is going to be sulpury. I would have also pitched the yeast at a lower temperature. It's a lager not an ale. It's best to pitch in the lower 60's or even 50 to start out...

It's good to have a sulfur off gassing early in the game...That's a good sign.

Don't rack it again. Let it sit longer...1 month. Lager takes time. German style beer can often be stinky during the young stages of fermentation. I think the beer is just fine.

I used Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager for a batch of Munich Dunkel. I pitched the yeast at about 68 degrees, and let it stay at that temperature for 12 hours to get started. I then lagered around 48 - 50 degrees for two weeks.

My issue: during primary fermentation, the smell coming out of the beer thru the airlock had a funky egg or light sulfur smell. It reminded me of scrambled eggs. I racked to secondary a couple days ago and could taste the egg smell in the beer. I'm gonna lager it in secondary at about 35 for a few weeks.

My question: is this normal for the yeast strain, and will the smell/ taste go away with some time? Or did I get a funky package of yeast that ruined the beer.

I've lagered other beers that turned out great, and I'm really good about sanitizing, so I doubt it's that.

Any thoughts?

(1) You didn't "lager" at 48 or 50 degrees, you "fermented" at that temperature. "Lagering" is the cold storage period.

(2) Sulfur is normal; it will fade with time. It's more pronounced in some beers than others. You can keep checking and then bottle/keg when it is gone or the level is acceptable to you.

Back