Thanksgiving Menu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bob and I have been working on our Thanksgiving menu.

So far:

grilled turkey (brined for 48 hours first)
bread stuffing (traditional)
garlic mashed potatoes
my special gravy
baked buttercup squash with butter/brown sugar
sourdough cornbread
pan-roasted green beans almondine
cranberry/orange/walnut chutney
pumpkin pie
apple/pear/cranberry tarte tatin (google that one!)

Probably crabapple wine, as it's a semi-sec and a nice dinner wine with turkey.

Any suggestions? Or better yet, what are YOU having?

So far:
a giant turkey, that I will brine at least 24 hours - slathered in butter and roasted.

mashed potatoes
Pumpkin pie
Stuffing
Lots of leafy green vegetables
Home made cranberry sauce
Delicious gravy with which to drown all the food
perhaps alton browns green bean casserole made with fresh ingredients - not canned
baked squash of some kind

still working on a menu
We will have my wife and I, our 5 kids, her sister and husband, their two kids.

lots of people.

plus we are going to run the Turkey trot 5k thanksgiving morning to work up an appetite.

I'm going to the Mother-in-Law's house, so I'm thinking about what beer I'm bringing and how much I'm drinking, and that's all I want to think about.

BIL drinking buddy will not be there.

I'm already sad.

Giant Turkey - brined, injected, baked ala alton Brown with the digital thermometer.......... and then I woke up..........., our neighbors and sort of friends are coming over to have Thanksgiving due to some divorce/money situations. FINE, but she is so pushy that SHE is insisting on doing the turkey.....no brine, no injector, NO thermometer.........just like mom made:drunk:

In order to NOT have thanksgiving at their house, which smells like mold, the compromise was that she still gets to cook.

So I get to take this thanksgiving off and sit.........BUGGAR THAT!!!!

So, MY menu?

Thanks for asking!

My Home harvest Kolsch
My American red tick amber *with 2 roasted cinnamon sticks floating in it for the last week*
My Roasted Pumpkin seed Porter

I know, it is my house, I should put my foot down. Unfortunately these people are not family, and I want to stay married.

I have no idea whose house I will be at for Thanksgiving... Supposed to drive to my parents but I just got laid off and I am debating on the 900 mile drive. Family would be good.

I can kick whomever out of the kitchen and make them feel like royalty as I inject a bird, rub it with cajun seasoning, make some spicy bread stuffing, bake a couple of pies, deep fry some potato dauphin, roast some broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini and carrots, then make a meat and cheese tray with sausages we smoked the day before, throw out some home-brined pickles, make a tossed salad with a honey-lemon vinaigrette, then drown it down with a nice buttery chardonnay. Grind up some Montana Coffee Traders Cowboy blend and drop in some Frangelico, eat, drink, food coma!

I'll probably head to the parents' house as a study break. My parents are pretty lazy about the holiday cooking these days but there will probably be the usual turkey, stuffing, asparagus, rolls, cranberry, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie that we have had for as long as I can remember. I'd do a better job jazzing it up and making more stuff from scratch and invite them to my house but I don't have the time for it.

I've been in charge of the sweet potatoes for several years. I slice them thin, put them in a gratin dish, and then cover them in cream and chipotle puree. We have turkey, cornbread dressing from Grandma's old recipe (gluten free since before that was a thing, if you have any celiac sufferers in your life who miss dressing), cranberry salad, a few pies, and lots of sparkling wine. Empty sparkling wine bottles coming with me to bottle my Old Peculier clone/ Christmas present beer. Then to a friend's house, who hosts a motley crew of Southern exiles and other friends for friend Thanksgiving, complete with deep fried turkey.

I think I'm over my funk from yesterday. I expect we'll be having:

Turkey
Ham
Potatoes
LOTS of green bean casserole
Cranberry Sauce (Can shaped)
Pink Stuff (Cherrry freeze)
Green Stuff (pistachio fluffy stuff or whatever)
Banana Bread
Stuffing
Dinner Rolls

I'm going to try to think of something new for this year. Something unusual, either for the meal or just to snack on. I'm thinking of either a UP style dish, or southern style dish. Just something to break tradition.

1st Annual Outcast Thanksgiving in Montana

Jerk Chicken ( sous vide followed by grilling )
Rice and Beans
Pineapple, Mango and Habanero Chutney

Red Stripe for the meal
Cuba Libre's after meal.

Who's coming over?

I have no idea whose house I will be at for Thanksgiving... Supposed to drive to my parents but I just got laid off and I am debating on the 900 mile drive. Family would be good.

I can kick whomever out of the kitchen and make them feel like royalty as I inject a bird, rub it with cajun seasoning, make some spicy bread stuffing, bake a couple of pies, deep fry some potato dauphin, roast some broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini and carrots, then make a meat and cheese tray with sausages we smoked the day before, throw out some home-brined pickles, make a tossed salad with a honey-lemon vinaigrette, then drown it down with a nice buttery chardonnay. Grind up some Montana Coffee Traders Cowboy blend and drop in some Frangelico, eat, drink, food coma!

so what are you going to do in all your spare time? :D that's a busy schedule

i'm going to brine and smoke a turkey, if i can keep it lit...

The first real meal cooked in the Red Kitchen. Cool that it was for Thanksgiving.

Jerk Chicken, Dirty Rice and citrus infused carrots and green beans.
Served with an IPA

jerkthanksgiving.jpg

Bob and I have been working on our Thanksgiving menu.

So far:

grilled turkey (brined for 48 hours first)
bread stuffing (traditional)
garlic mashed potatoes
my special gravy
baked buttercup squash with butter/brown sugar
sourdough cornbread
pan-roasted green beans almondine
cranberry/orange/walnut chutney
pumpkin pie
apple/pear/cranberry tarte tatin (google that one!)

Probably crabapple wine, as it's a semi-sec and a nice dinner wine with turkey.

Any suggestions? Or better yet, what are YOU having?

Yoop - Please do tell about the sourdough cornbread... :)

Yoop - Please do tell about the sourdough cornbread... :)

Hi Melana!

It was just a sourdough starter, used to mix up the cornbread. I have to run off to work now, so I'll dig up the the recipe when I get home later.

It was really good! I made it in my old cast iron skillet and it had a perfect texture.

I brined a turkey in a stout/malt extract brine for 24 hours and glazed it with a malt extract and cider vinegar glaze. Best turkey ever!

ok, home now so here is the sourdough cornbread recipe!

1 TBS vegetable oil
1.5 cups cornmeal
1 TBS sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup sourdough starter
1.5 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted.

Preheat oil in oven in cask-iron skillet (400 degrees).

Combine cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking soda. In large bowl, combine starter, buttermilk, eggs, and butter. Add dry ingredients and stir until combined- don't overmix! Pour into hot skillet and bake until golden- 25-30 minutes.

My sourdough start is pretty runny, so I needed to add some flour to get a batter. It wasn't much, but it was needed.

Back