8 gallon or 10 gallon kettle for full boil extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
I'm looking at the 8 and 10 gallon megapots .Which would be best to do full boil extract? And how are these pots?

I'm looking at the 8 and 10 gallon megapots .Which would be best to do full boil extract? And how are these pots?

I have the 10 and wish I had the 8. 10 gallons, IMHO is a useless size. Too big to use as a boil kettle for 5 gallon batches and obviously too small for a boil kettle for 10 gallon batches. Another (minor) drawback is the 10 gallon has a very large surface area compared to the volume, so you'll likely lose more water in your boil than normal, but like I said, that's probably pretty minor.

Other than that, they are very well built pots. Tough as nails, thick and nice heavy, thick bottms with an aluminum core for better hear distribution.

I'm happy with mine, just wish I had the 8 gallon instead.

Too bad I still didn't live in NJ...I'd sell you my 10 for a deal.

There is no such thing as a too big boil kettle.

Well, for doing 5 gallon batches the cost of the extra 2 gallons is not justified, IMHO. An 8 gallon pot can handle any 5 gallon extract recipe. If all the OP is gonna do is 5 gallon extract batches he'll save $$ by going with the 8.

So an 8 is more than enough for full boil extract?Or do you have to really be careful with boil overs in an 8 compared to a 10?

I'd go with the 10 gallon as well. Price might be a little more but it gives you more room for doing different sized batches in the future and more headspace to prevent boil overs. Unless you are really penny pinching there's little reason not to go with a 10 gallon. I went to a 10 and am glad I did. Be aware though, if you are brewing on your stove top 5+ gallons (typically 6.25 or so for boil off) might not be able to keep a rolling boil going depending on your stove. Mine couldn't handle it so I switched to boiling outside on a burner and couldn't be happier - cuts a ton of time off of brew day as temps are achieved way faster.

Rev.

I've been doing full, or near-full, boils in a 7.5 gallon pot. If you invest in fermcap-s and you're a little cautious, you can avoid boil-overs at that size. If you want to buy yourself a little breathing room though, and leave yourself the room to do a 90 or 120 minute boil (you'll boil off more), the 10 gallon pot is a good choice.

If you are brewing 5-gallon batches then I would recommend getting the 10-gallon kettle.

Take the 10 gallon simply so that you have a larger kettle for that day that you really need it.

If you ever have any interest in trying all-grain BIAB in the future, you will wish you had the bigger pot. Trust me on this.

If I'm just doing full boil extract do I really need the built in thermometer ?I want the megapot with the ball valve and I decided on the 10 gallon but should I go with built in themometer?

If I'm just doing full boil extract do I really need the built in thermometer ?I want the megapot with the ball valve and I decided on the 10 gallon but should I go with built in themometer?

It's like an extra 36 bucks for the thermometer option from what I see on their website. Personally, if I were already dropping around 200 for this pot, I would get the thermometer option, as long as it is able to be calibrated.

lol about ag comment.....i decided on the polarware 42 qt model i like that it is taller than the megapot and since i'm only doing extract no need for future mash tun since the megapod has that tri clad bottom anyone know about the polarware 42 qt model?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_463&products_id=869

My Northern Brewer catalogue advertises that the Megapots have the tri-clad bottom but it doesn't for the Polarware, so I'd assume they don't.

I like the megapots but I like the height of the polarware since i'll lose less to evaporation than with the width of the megapot Has anyone owned or used the 42 qt. polarware kettle .Also austin supply has the option of the brewmometer for like 29.00 bucks does anyone know if you can calibrate it easily if at all ?

what are easy ways to calibrate a kettle thermometer?I'm new at brewing and appreciate any info.

Latest posts

Back