Freezer Setting w/ A419 Control - Max., Min., Middle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthelm85

Reaction score
I just hooked up my Johnson A419 to my chest freezer yesterday for a Scottish Ale I'm brewing. Seems to be working well taped to the side of the carboy with a gel pack and bubble wrap on top of that but I was wondering if it matters to have the freezer set to the maximum cold setting, minimum, or in between?

My target fermentation temperature is 64, I have my freezer turned to 6 (the maximum setting) and my A419 settings are as follows:

SP = 65
Diff = 1
ASP = 12

Even though the differential is set to 1 it doesn't actually cut out until the temperature difference is greater than 1 degree so it cuts out at 63.99 (I guess?) but at that point my probe temp will continue to drop until it eventually reads 62 where it sits for an hour or so before climbing back up to 63. It stays at 63 for another hour or so and slowly climbs up to 64 where it sits for another hour or so, etc.

64 is the minimum recommended temperature for my Wyeast 1098 so I'm a bit worried about it dropping down to 62 although I really don't think 1 or 2 degrees will have any significant difference other than fermentation might take a bit longer to complete but I'm not worried about that.

Do you guys who have used temp. control units set your freezer to the maximum setting? I'm thinking if I turn it down maybe the temp. won't drop down to 62 after the cut out point. Or will it matter?

It doesn't matter so long as it's on. I set mine on max as I see no reason not to do so. The controller takes it from there.

Those minor temp fluctuations won't do any harm to your beer. You could improve the performance if you installed a computer fan in the freezer to circulate the air. IME, that makes a tremendous difference.

+1 don't matter

Freezer compressor is either running or not . There is no difference between high or low since you are running it with your temp controller the thermostat on the freezer never gets to a temperature where it would come into play.
Still, I would put it on high to be sure there is no time it won't run if your a419 tells it to.

Set the freezer to max. I have the controller set to cut in. That way i set the temperature one degree above what my desired fermentation temp is and set the dif to 1. This makes it so as my fermentation raises 1 degree it kicks on the freezer. Seems to keep better control than doing it the other way (cut out)

Back