You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh, he'd have to be familiar enough with homebrew laws to know about the 200 gallon limit. Not something they deal with on a regular basis, so not going to be at the front of his mind.

Best blackmail setup ever though.

You have over 100 gallons sitting in plain sight???? I want to go to there.

I used to live right outside of Greensboro

Yeah, this is my hallway right now where I put the stuff thats still carbing up before moving it onto my shelf. Thanksgiving vacation snuck up on me so Ive been scrambling to package things and get everything set to be on autopilot for 11 days

20151027_174603.jpg

Yeah, this is my hallway right now where I put the stuff thats still carbing up before moving it onto my shelf. Thanksgiving vacation snuck up on me so Ive been scrambling to package things and get everything set to be on autopilot for 11 days

That is a sight to behold. I wish my pipeline was that full.

Where near gboro did you live? I'm always surprised at how many people I talk to out of state that used to live in this area. I'm also always surprised at how big the home brew scene is here.

Must have a forgiving WMBO to be able to leave all that out.

You should see my kitchen...

She knew what she was getting into from the start. I met her giving out beer at an arts festival. She works for a local radio station and wanted to do a story on me. I still remember her running around while I was bottling to record noises from fermentors and stuff for the background

When you take your dad to the brew store, and have to drive 40 minutes each way in traffic, and you say "It's all about the beer" and he looks at you like your nuts.

Looks like what, about 28 six packs? So 7 cases of beer or 3 five gallon batches. Amateur ☺

LOL, challenge accepted...

Im having a very hard time not childishly posting pics of proof. But last time this happened they were taken down. Im guessing for self-incriminating reasons

Best blackmail setup ever though.

My thoughts exactly. If he did know the law existed, you can guarantee he'll be m00ps' new regular visitor. And m00ps won't be able to do a damn thing about it either.

That is until he starts intentionally brewing ****ty beers, or at least only styles the officer of the law doesn't like.

When you are 4 years late to the thread and read every post in the 574 page thread..... And chuckle at everyone.... in public.... and people look at you weird.

^But every once in awhile, a young hotty sees your home brewing website cap, & strikes up a conversation about craft beer with a big smile on her face! :rockin::ban::rockin:

OK so I couldnt resist being petty about it.
You know you are a homebrewer when...this:

* I should add that this IS NOT MY HOUSE. Its a friend of a friend's. And he was just holding it for someone else...

Picture1.png

201511090768.jpg

20151119_170113.jpg

20151119_170408.jpg

20151119_170205.jpg

20151119_172246.jpg

hbt-bryan-4-2440.jpg

hbt-bryan-5-2441.jpg

yeastdrawer.png

20151027_174603.jpg

You know you're a homebrewer when you have to move 3 cases + several 6 packs + multiple single bottles of full beer to get to your dryer :p

EDIT: Your friend knows s/he's a homebrew when...;)

When you teach year 12 Chemistry and you can relate not only Ethanol production via anaerobic respiration of yeast but also;

Carbohydrates, enzymes; optimal temperature and pH and denaturing, esters, water chemistry and treatment, chlorine chemistry, aromatics, rate of reaction amongst others to the brewing process.

And you warn them about catalase metabolism of alcohol and not to take paracetamol (acetomenaphen) for hangovers.

(Year 12s turn 18 during the year and the drinking age is 18)

Also when you count the UOK online "Chemistry of Beer" course as hours towards the professional development requirement.

When your 3 year old answers SWMBO's "What did you do with daddy today?" question with "We went to the shop to buy things for making beer"........ and you never mentioned beer or homebrew to her, she just recognised all the stuff in the shop.

Or when she was two and watched the process of making beer asking "what you doing" then during the bottling stage she says "Daddy, you're clever."

Bless her cotton socks.

I get my brew water from the local brewery. People mainly use it as filtered water as our tap water is foul tasting.

The brewery makes cat's urine mega swill but the water makes great homebrew.

$4 for 22 L (2 water cooler jugs).

*edit I was supposed to quote the post on page 200 and something about buying 11 gallons of spring water from the vendor....

When you dream about educating your mostly BMC family about beer and they actually listen.

Every second was glorious. I was able to tell my dream-land uncle that a "Pilsner-ale" isn't really a thing (technically speaking) and he LISTENED without referencing a buddy in college who told him something completely different.

...then I woke up :(

When a big, expensive beer doesn't turn out quite as expected. Then you pop open the fermenter & see clear beer. Then realizing maybe what you tasted was expensive IIPA & old trub. So you soldier on for another week dry hopping & peppering. Today's the day to bottle & see if it was all worth it.
Lesson learned; Thou wilt use the proper amount of yeast pitch on big beers so that thou mightest get the beer finished sooner! :confused:

You wake up from a dream in which the cold crash that you`re doing on your APA has somehow removed all hop aroma.

When you contemplate buying a new cat or dog and naming it after your favorite variety of hops....... (Not that I've actually done that, but I've heard of a few brewers who did.)

When you run out of sugar and use dme for your morning coffee. I have noticed i like it much much more. It cuts through the bitterness of the coffee without making it sweet.

There is a lot of bottle talk in this thread, either labels, screw tops or yeast......,

Coopers went to screw tops with their 375ml (just over 12 oz), but kept their 750ml (what we Downunder call longnecks) pry tops specifically for home brewers. Their labels soak off pretty well too.

They also actively encourage and advise how to culture their ale yeast on their DIY Beer webpage.

YKYAHB when you buy Coopers mid strength even when you prefer their Pale or Sparkling Ale because the lower ABV is kinder to the yeast you want to reculture and use on their Extra Strong Vintage Ale recipe.

You can list injuries such as:

Scotch-Brite laceration (new today)
Grinder elbow
SS splinter (last time a drilled a hole for an element)
Flashback hairline (many years ago when a propane burner on simmer blew out and then re-lit itself at an inopportune moment)
Dropped corny toenail...err, lack of toenail
RDWHAHB burn scars...for when you had one too many by the time you hit flame-out

I m sure there are more...

Speaking of flashback hairline...My soon to be sil asked me to check the oven in the reception hall's kitchen. She couldn't get lit. I forgot to check & see that the gas was off. So, I lit a match, went to grab the gas oven knob, & WOOOOOOOSSSSH! A ball of yellow/orange& gray fire rolled around the left side of the oven, across the back, then out the right side. I barely had time to cover my eyes...almost. Burned off the hair on my face & some on the front of my head. Boy was HER face red! Father Rath came into the kitchen(we had him at St Mary's), saw me. His eyes went wide & " oh my goodness! are you ok"? Nah, I did on purpose! :eek:

,when your are dropping the little one off at early learning centre and you double take at the 3 stainless pots on the commercial gas cook top and think "brew day"

When you stalk craigslist regularly for chest freezers and find a nice 7.whatever cubic foot one that just fits the 4 kegs. And you rejoice, show your lady, and she is just as excited.

My chest freezer went out (holds four kegs) and I found one on Craigslist. I showed it to her and she said "I'll call my dad and see if we can use his truck".

You can list injuries such as:

Scotch-Brite laceration (new today)
Grinder elbow
SS splinter (last time a drilled a hole for an element)
Flashback hairline (many years ago when a propane burner on simmer blew out and then re-lit itself at an inopportune moment)
Dropped corny toenail...err, lack of toenail
RDWHAHB burn scars...for when you had one too many by the time you hit flame-out

I m sure there are more...

When you may or may not have fingerprints left because you keep grabbing the kettle handle without some sort of pot holder or glove. *Note to self, the handle of a cookpot is hot. Especially after heating strike/sparge water to and above 160 degrees F and the BK gets hot too when you have been boiling for an hour+.

When you know the pain of having 2 kegs kick on back to back pours.:(
Joy of 10 gallon brewing: I happen to have a keg of each of those batches waiting. :)

You wake up from a dream in which the cold crash that you`re doing on your APA has somehow removed all hop aroma.

And just had another dream in which I mashed and didn't use a thermometer at all. I started checking gravity in a panic to see if any conversion happened... and then I woke up.

This is getting almost as bad as PBEM Diplomacy.

Back