Oscillating WLP570

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBrew

Reaction score
There have been a few other threads covering a similar issue, but none to address my specific concern:

I pitched 570 into a 1.050 Golden on Tuesday at a lowish T (~70), and have kept the ferm between 72-74:ban:, which is around their suggestion (upper end). I would like to get the spicy clove notes that are supposedly yielded at lower end (66-68:drunk:) and have read about the 64-82 ramp that is done by Duvel (although I am not going that high, as I should have little worry of under attenuation).

Should I try to drop the temp right now to 68 and then let it go back up, should I reverse the normal order, giving it a few more days up here and then cooling. Or should I chalk this one up to my first foray into that golden belgian frontier and RDWHAHB...

In the 3 times I've used Wyeast's version of Duvel's yeast, I've needed to give the beer a long time at temps in the mid-70s to get the beer to fully ferment. Long time as in 1-2 months, though I've generally started mid-60s.
So, I vote for RDWAHAHB to give the yeast and easier time than dealing with fluctuating temps.

You're too late... My beer has been moved to 68.F as of 8p last night, thanks for the advice though, I'll let everyone know how the ferm goes. and I'll probably raise back to 72-74 by beginning of day 5-6. I'll keep this thread going to let everyone know how it goes.

This is AHS Golden Celeia OG 1.050
Placed at 72.F for days 1 and 2.
Chilled and moved to 68 on beginning of day 3.

Back