Still or Bubbly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I can't decide whether or not I should carbonate my mead. Anyone want to sell me on why I shouldn't carbonate it?

I'd say go with the flat, i think you will be able to experience the complexities of the mead more...but then again if you half carbed it, that would be nice too!

I don't associate carbonation with meads. In fact, I can't think of any occasion where I had a carbonated mead. Carbonation does tend to cover up certain flavors (ever have flat champagne?) or lack thereof, but I can't think of any reason not to carbonate.

I am going though the same debate with myself. I like both still and sparkling meads. I have heard that sparkling meads are best with lower starting-OG meads however.

My decision: do both. I am going to bottle carb half the batch.

Cheers!

BrewSTef

Do some of both. Some of mine is carbed, some is still. I do prefer the lower ABV meads carbed, though, and same for Melomels.

Carbonating high gravity meads, or sweet meads is a tricky prospect.

With high gravity meads, you have to figure out how much "room" your yeast has. Is it going to carbonate, before the alcohol shuts it down? Is it going to have too much sugar, and blow the bottles up?

Now, with sweet meads, you have similar issues. How do I know how much more can this yeast do? How do I turn the yeast off?

I think, low gravity meads are much more suited to carbonation.

steve

skou said:
Carbonating high gravity meads, or sweet meads is a tricky prospect.

With high gravity meads, you have to figure out how much "room" your yeast has. Is it going to carbonate, before the alcohol shuts it down? Is it going to have too much sugar, and blow the bottles up?

Now, with sweet meads, you have similar issues. How do I know how much more can this yeast do? How do I turn the yeast off?

I think, low gravity meads are much more suited to carbonation.

steve

What about force carbonating it?

Cheesefood said:
What about force carbonating it?

Yes, if you have the equipment, and can counter-pressure bottle, you can force carbonate.

I was just thinking about natural conditioning.

steve

skou said:
Yes, if you have the equipment, and can counter-pressure bottle, you can force carbonate.

I was just thinking about natural conditioning.

steve

I'm just going to keg the mead. I'm hoping to be finished bottling. I **HATE** bottling.

I can relate, I've switched over to using nothing but swing-tops, and will be soon running a cornie system, but not until after I move.

steve

Back