Help with Beer (Liquid Out) disconnect on Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean_cox

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope there is someone out there who can help. I have 2 Cory Kegs and I am trying to get beer out. I was able to no problem last week, now it seems no beer is coming out. There is 12 PSI in the Keg and I can vent and repressurise. I connected the Gas line to the Liquid out and gas flows OK into the keg (Hear the bubbling) but when I reconnect the beer quick disconnect nothing happens - the faucet wont open due to no pressure on the beer line?

Could it be that the beer quick disconnect is broken? or I am not connecting it properly (I lift the black ring up, then push on top then push black ring on disconnect down again) It was working last week, it just seems to have stopped working?

Any ideas how to fix - or do I need to buy a new one? Has anyone had this happen to them? I am new to kegging, so I wouldn't be surprised if im doing something wrong ;)

Thanks,

Dean

You have a grey disconnect for the gas, and a black one for the liquid "out" line? You said the grey one fits? The black and grey disconnects are different, so if the grey one fits, I wonder if you've got the wrong disconnect on there? Did you happen to take them apart recently?

I disconnected the gray disconnect from the gas line and connected the black disconnect to the gas, that's how I got the gas in the liquid out line. When I put gas in the liquid out you hear bubbling as the has is now going down the tube and through the beer. I have checked the in and out are marked on the top of the keg and the gas and beer disconnects are fool proof.

I disconnected the gray disconnect from the gas line and connected the black disconnect to the gas, that's how I got the gas in the liquid out line. When I put gas in the liquid out you hear bubbling as the has is now going down the tube and through the beer. I have checked the in and out are marked on the top of the keg and the gas and beer disconnects are fool proof.

Are you absolutely certain that your gas post and liquid post aren't mixed up? Did you take it apart recently?

When I say the faucet won't open. The faucet I have only works if there is liquid pressure on the line

If you know for certain that you didn't take off the posts, the only thing I can think of is to bleed all of the pressure from the keg, and remove the "out" post and then the diptube. Hold it up to the light and look through it. Sounds like it's clogged. Check the poppit inside the post, too. Something, like hops debris or yeast clumps, could be stuck in there.

You didn't happen to dry hop in the keg, did you? ;)

if you look inside the black liquid disconnect, do you see the 'pin' in the middle that pushes down on the poppet?

If you push down on the poppet gently, does beer squirt out?

kinda sounds like the liquid disconnect broke the pin that pushes down the poppet, or its just not going down far enough.

I first thought it was the QD too, but the OP says he hooked up the gas line to his liquid QD and the gas is getting through fine. But I'm totally stumped on this one...unless something is blocking the pickup tube that moves when you push gas in, and gets sucked back when trying to get beer out....:drunk: :confused:

OK - thanks for all the help and advice. I decided today to rack the beer out into a fermenter and disassemble the Keg to see whats was wrong. Turns out that the O-Ring that sits between the tube (long curved tube) on the Liquid Out had spilt and seperated. I guess gas was mixing with the beer at the post as there was no seal! - I replaced the seal, and then cooled the keg down and put under pressure....today NO PROBLEM! perfect beer - Perfect carbonation - EXCELLENT! I feel so much better now.

Cheers!

Dean

Replying to a 12 yr old thread here, but wanted to say I just had this problem (hence finding this thread) & wanted to highlight another potential cause - I thought I had a clogged beer out tube when trying to remove the trub after cold-crashing, & before force carbonating. Turns out my fridge was over-eager and it was partially frozen!

Back