Bottling and cork question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewbish

Reaction score
My wife is going to give winemaking a shot. Since I home brew anyway, we have all the equipment allready. Since I have tons of 22oz bottles, we're going to use those for the wine. I know a #7 cork works in beer/pop bottles, but what I'm wondering is......will a normal two handed corker work with a #7, or do we need a special corker?

Alternatively, I know we can cap them......and I have dozens and dozens of 32oz and 1/2 liter fliptops we could use as well......but using corks appeals to her more than capping or fliptops.

Just a heads up, I tried corking some "non wine" bottles. I didn't think about it but afterwords I noticed the necks really flared out from top to bottom. The cork held but really was only sealed by about 25% of the cork. Wine bottle's necks are straight so the whole cork seals. I dont know what your bottles are like, could work out just fine, just something to watch for.

Not being an authority on anything, I didn't even know there was a size #7 wine cork, I'm just glad I took the plunge a bought a Portugese floor corker at the get-go.

It will cork everything, except Champagne corks, as I understand it, with ease.

Plus, if a year or so down the road, she loses interest in making wine, you will probably be able to unload it at a profit.

I paid $47 US for mine about a year ago, and they are now selling for over $70 US, tax and all, at my LHBS.

Pogo

Back