How do I keep my wine ferment warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookiex2

Reaction score
I have a V-Vessel fermenter and I live in Reno NV. I need to know how I am going to keep my ferment warm. My garage is the one place I will be able to hang it. I picked up a nice Chianti concentrate from a friend in Mendo county at their Vineyard and refuse to ruin it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mookiex2 said:
I have a V-Vessel fermenter and I live in Reno NV. I need to know how I am going to keep my ferment warm. My garage is the one place I will be able to hang it. I picked up a nice Chianti concentrate from a friend in Mendo county at their Vineyard and refuse to ruin it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What is the temp in your garage this time of year?

My garage can range between 0-50 in the winter depending upon weather conditions. Normally through it averages around 40-50 never any higher. I was thinking an electric blanket but didn't know how that would work because I still do not want it too hot. I figured someone may have had some experience with cold weather climates. Since we live here and have grown used to the weather our indoor temps range between 50 and 68, which would still be too cold for a proper wine ferment.

mookiex2 said:
My garage can range between 0-50 in the winter depending upon weather conditions. Normally through it averages around 40-50 never any higher. I was thinking an electric blanket but didn't know how that would work because I still do not want it too hot. I figured someone may have had some experience with cold weather climates. Since we live here and have grown used to the weather our indoor temps range between 50 and 68, which would still be too cold for a proper wine ferment.

Actually, your indoor temps would work.

As far as your garage, you'll need a thermostat for your electric blanket, to keep it at the temp you want. Look for a Johnson Controller.

My garage runs between 0-50 but averages for the most part between 40-50. I was just hoping someone had cold weather experience. Hanging it on a wall in my houseis not an option and we keep our home under the optimum fermentation temperature anyway since we are used to these temps.

Could you create an insulated box around your hanging v-vessel that way you would have better temp control? Perhaps knock in a frame or create one from PVC and line with styrofoam, etc. I know many who use a smaller area and a thermostat controlled space heater. Depending on the yeast you use you will find a temperature variable exists for each yeast--but we all know we do want to avoid temp swings.

My garage runs between 0-50 but averages for the most part between 40-50. I was just hoping someone had cold weather experience. Hanging it on a wall in my houseis not an option and we keep our home under the optimum fermentation temperature anyway since we are used to these temps.

Below 59 degrees, the wine yeast will go dormant. some go dormant at a little higher temperature, but you can find a wine yeast (one or two strains) that aren't dormant until about 59 degrees.

Your garage in the winter simply won't work for fermenting, without a heat source. Above 60 degrees would work. If your house is below 60 degrees, that's even cooler than my house!

The idea of an insulated box is a good one. I have an old gym locker in my garage. I could mount the V Vessel in the locker and find something to heat the enclosed area that has a thermostat. It is metal an would be fire proof if I found a small heater to keep the area warm. Any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The Brew Belt is the perfect solution for those who need a little extra heat to keep your fermentation at a warm enough temperature. This simple unit produces 15 watts of heat right where you want it. Instead of having to raise the temperature of the room, just attach the Brew Belt, plug it in, and you are good to go. The Brew Belt raises the temp about 10° F from the room's ambient temperature. If you want to be more exact with the temperature, hook it up to one of our thermostat controllers.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-brew-belt-1.html

Back