cleaning copper pipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red123

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I'm a rookie at this stuff, but I'm having a blast brewing my own beer! I'm in the process of building a mash tun, and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on the proper way to initially clean copper before the first mash?

Sorry if this has already been covered!

Clean how/what?

For general sanitation and alkaline wash is best. PBW or Oxyclean Free are the most popular.

For oxidation (blackening) you gotta go with some acid. Acetic is best but a hot solution of distilled white vinegar gets you there (because of the aecetic acid content).

I just built a mash tun out of an igloo and copper tube. For the cleaning and sanitation, would soaking it in my no rinse solution be ok, or perhaps simply boiling it in some water before mashing?

I just built a mash tun out of an igloo and copper tube. For the cleaning and sanitation, would soaking it in my no rinse solution be ok, or perhaps simply boiling it in some water before mashing?

You mean first-use cleaning and sanitation, or cleaning/sanitation for every brew?

After I mash in mine, I just rinse my cooler out and scrub it a bit with a sponge to get any stuck bits of grain or wort, and then do a quick final rinse. There is no need to sanitize your mash tun.

Back