Gifted with hops. Storage question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Reaction score
So a coworker has a hop vine in her back yard. She brought me just under a pound when she found out I was brewing. No clue what kind they are but they have a lovely aroma. Maybe Nugget or Centenial? From my homework there is no real way to ID them by their look so I'm thinking I'm safest using them as a finishing hops in a future batch.

So to prepare them for storage since I don't have any of the apparatus mentioned for drying hops, I put them in a couple of colanders a few feet in front of a space heater set at 70°F. They seemed to dry out just fine with little discoloration. I put them in a few freezer bags and sucked out as much air as I could. Wow, what a rush. They were pretty compacted when I got done so I put them in the freezer.

So the ultimate questione is, do you think they will last long enough for me to brew with them in a few weeks?

Thanks in advance,

Dukester

If all the moisture is out of them, they will last awhile. Nesco food dehydrator works great for drying hops out.

I used to put my fresh-picked hops out on a towel in my attic for 24 hours and they were perfectly dried. But as the weather cools I'm not sure how well that would work. And then bagged and froze as you stated. I actually double-bagged to stave-off freezer burn. I used them over a year later and they were great.

use a vacum packer,like the food saver brand ,,it works oh so well .

Back