Search Function...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearkluttz

Reaction score
Near the top of the page underneath the maroon banner with the HBT logo on it there is a link that says "Search". This is an amazing function and one that we should repeatedly thank Tx for putting there. As a new brewer i too find it hard not to quickly post a question i have but BELIEVE ME, any question you have, has probably already been asked. Use the search function. It is your friend. Please at least give it a shot before you start a thread like "What water should i use" ( yes i started one too...)or "I think i have an infection!" or "My beer is under/over carb'd". There is an amazing wealth of knowledge here. Read up on your question and then, if it hasn't been answered, at least you will be able to ask a more specific and detailed revision of what you originally wondered.

Near the top of the page underneath the maroon banner with the HBT logo on it there is a link that says "Search". This is an amazing function and one that we should repeatedly thank Tx for putting there. As a new brewer i too find it hard not to quickly post a question i have but BELIEVE ME, any question you have, has probably already been asked. Use the search function. It is your friend. Please at least give it a shot before you start a thread like "What water should i use" ( yes i started one too...)or "I think i have an infection!" or "My beer is under/over carb'd". There is an amazing wealth of knowledge here. Read up on your question and then, if it hasn't been answered, at least you will be able to ask a more specific and detailed revision of what you originally wondered.

*sigh*

It doesn't work...no matter how many times we ask....they don't listen, and other's no matter how many times we ask....don't use it anyway.

AND it really is a well done search function too, if you change the search parameters...you can search for threads or single posts...

Nice sentiment Bearklutz...:rockin:

I said i was sorry!

Trust me, they are NOT beating up on you! Every day (sometimes multiple times per day) the same questions are asked. Usually, they are "will aluminum give me brain cancer?", "They have 5 gallon water bottles at work- can I use this?", "Is this batch ruined?" and "Is my fermentation stuck?".

While we all like being helpful, sometimes it's hard to type out the same answer over and over. So, always feel free to ask questions whenever you want about whatever you want. But sometimes you get better answers if you start with, "I read the FAQ about fermentation times, but I was wondering if my FG would be lower if it was warmer", or something like that. Then we can also be more specific to your particular problem.

Trust me, they are NOT beating up on you! Every day (sometimes multiple times per day) the same questions are asked. Usually, they are "will aluminum give me brain cancer?", "They have 5 gallon water bottles at work- can I use this?", "Is this batch ruined?" and "Is my fermentation stuck?".

While we all like being helpful, sometimes it's hard to type out the same answer over and over. So, always feel free to ask questions whenever you want about whatever you want. But sometimes you get better answers if you start with, "I read the FAQ about fermentation times, but I was wondering if my FG would be lower if it was warmer", or something like that. Then we can also be more specific to your particular problem.

I know, i was just messin'.
I see where you're all coming from, i actually got alot of answers just by lurking and using Google redirects to this forum.

Yeah, I'm a relative newcomer to this forum, and I don't want to piss anyone off. The search function is great!

I gotta say that I don't agree!

My results always end up taking me to a bevy of threads with twenty-something pages involved.

Which, I'm sure would work for me, if I would just wade through all those pages.

Revvy mentioned that search parameters can be changed to search individual posts, but I must not know how.

I thought searching would be pretty much a no-brainer!

I mean, I DO Google, after all!

Maybe I can find a sticky that will catch me up to speed.

Pogo

I too, hate the normal search.

It's not like other search engines. If you type in "wort chiller" WITH the quotes, it comes back

Searched for the following words/phrases : 'wort' 'chiller'

WTF. I want to search for Haus Pale Ale. Not Haus, and Pale and ale.

most other bb searches can handle simple boolean quantifiers.

I end up using google search for phrases.

B

i think asking the same questions over is beneficial to the site. sure you can look around and such. but for a newb to really get involved with brewing, and the site, being able to converse is helpful. and many of you are very knowledgeable, it just seemed to me as never being here before when i started using the site, direct question asking was the best way for me

Try
wort*chiller

That raises the question about why the search syntax is not explained on the "Advanced Search" page.

Why should you have to search to figure out how to use the search? It should be right there.

I've also had problems using the search, because it is tough to find information on anything that is the sum of more than the words.

I tried to find information on doubling the Malt Extract Mr. Beer mix instead of using one hopped Malt Extract and one UME. No matter how I worded and combined the key words and phrases, I could not make a useful search.

It would also be helpful to narrow the search to a single thread. The sticky threads have a ton of useful, "look here first" information, but aren't individually search-able. Considering how large those threads can balloon, it is frustrating to search.

Narrowing my search to "UME"-containing posts inside the Mr. Beer thread would have been beneficial.

Currently, the only option to search large threads is to move into one's profile and set it to unlimited posts per page, and then use the browser's find function. But that takes a long time to load threads with pictures, and only allows simplified searching.

The search feature leaves a lot to be desired, so even if newbies do use it you will see many duplicate posts and threads.

Search can be a PITA. Sometimes we get good results, other times not. I suggest this. Search for what you are looking for first, if you don't find it post a thread that starts with I tried to search, but..... Even if you didn't search, cover your butt so no one jumps on your nuts. Honestly, I don't mind helping out and doing the search for someone, but would still appreciate it if you tried.

Another thing. If you ask a question and get an answer, at least say thanks. I hate it when a person posts, starts a big old discussion and never posts again.

Warning: I am druck on the Grapes of Wrath.

Use the search function. It is your friend. Please at least give it a shot before you start a thread like "What water should i use" ( yes i started one too...)or "I think i have an infection!" or "My beer is under/over carb'd".

There are people who want to find out things for themselves and people who want to talk to someone about it. I think this is a difference between researcher types and social types, between people who enjoy reading and those that prefer conversation.

I hope I have expressed this fairly and without too much bias. I do have a snarky opinion on this and I will try not to express it.

If the title of your thread has a "vs" in it...use the search function.

If you have a question the look to see if there is information already available on that topic, then bump one of those threads, and at least make it seem like we're not wiping your a$$es for you...I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to get tired of answering (read helping) with the same questions over and over....

And if you want to "discuss" something, use the search function, find a thread that is about that topic and post your question in there and "bump it up" rather than starting a new thread and re-inventing the wheel. Look at the Mr Beer thread for an example of a single topic thread that where they conversation/knowlege base get's added to, you can even quote something on page one that will be bumped to the forefront of the thread.

Conversations can be had just as easy in a bumped up thread that's old as it is in a brand new one...in fact you're more than likely to get more people involved in an older bumped up thread than posting the same re-hashed topic over, some of us get glazed eyes when we see the same topics come up, and don't contribute, but if it's an old thread that we remember, we may pop in to see what's going on.

FWIW, I spent a bunch of time searching before I joined (two whole weeks ago) and asked questions. Search is fine, info is all there, I only post when a) the subtlety of my specific question is not answered, b) I am trying to inject my wit, or c) I just need a RDWHAHB (should be rephrased as "leave it the fu(k alone!"). Mostly c)!

On the other hand you guys are the most patient forum I've ever seen. In my first week as a total noob brewer I've seen wtf posts where even I could tell the same question was asked yesterday! But you guys answer 'em all. Woot woot.:tank: I love you guys. :drunk:

Actually, since I'm posting anyway, which do you recommend; glass carboys or used ****** bags?

Narrowing my search to "UME"-containing posts inside the Mr. Beer thread would have been beneficial.

As mentioned by someone here you can in fact search a thread, however you'd be screwed in your case because you can't search for any words less than 4 letters long. This is my biggest frustration with the search function (it used to be that I couldn't search for a string of words until someone pointed out the workaround using *).

TH

That raises the question about why the search syntax is not explained on the "Advanced Search" page.

Why should you have to search to figure out how to use the search? It should be right there.

I've also had problems using the search, because it is tough to find information on anything that is the sum of more than the words.

I tried to find information on doubling the Malt Extract Mr. Beer mix instead of using one hopped Malt Extract and one UME. No matter how I worded and combined the key words and phrases, I could not make a useful search.

It would also be helpful to narrow the search to a single thread. The sticky threads have a ton of useful, "look here first" information, but aren't individually search-able. Considering how large those threads can balloon, it is frustrating to search.

Currently, the only option to search large threads is to move into one's profile and set it to unlimited posts per page, and then use the browser's find function. But that takes a long time to load threads with pictures, and only allows simplified searching.

The search feature leaves a lot to be desired, so even if newbies do use it you will see many duplicate posts and threads.

Trust me - this rant was not intended for you. You at least ATTEMPTED a search, found it to be less-than-useful, and moved on. You were also attempting search on a very VERY small market of our population (Customizing Mr Beer -- or Mr Beer in general).

Everyone seems to think these posts relate to them, when it should be fairly obvious what kind of people we (we being those who are angy at non-searchers) are usually ranting about. There is a portion of our membership that come to get immediate response without giving back to the community. They come, post claiming IMMEDIATE URGENCY, bump their own question after 10 minutes, and then get angry when someone comes up with an opposing answer. Most of these people crave one or both of the following: 1) instant gratification 2) assurance that they are correct.

Anyway - this argument is getting about as old as the SSvsAL debates. Nothing is going to change, I just like ranting for the sake of ranting. :)

s...so even if newbies do use it you will see many duplicate posts and threads.

But that's the freakin point of doing a search!!!!!!!!!! If you look at one of those "duplicate posts and threads" you will more than likely find the info you are looking for, already laid out for you, more than likely by me, or kahuna, or yooper, or biermuncher, or any of us who regularly answer the same questions over and over...If the poster has further questions they can post them right in the thread they have been reading....At least the basics of the question may be answered and the question will have a bit more depth....

Try
wort*chiller

Ahh, I was excited about this until I tried it myself. This does not work as I had hoped. The * takes the place of NON-SPACE characters only. So for example a search for wort*chiller returns threads with entries such as "wort-chiller" but NOT "wort chiller".

So my two biggest beefs remain:
1. Can't search for a string of words.
2. Can't search for words under 4 letters.

Don't premium supporters get better search functionality? I.e. search by thread title? I wish I had this :-( I've been on vBulletin sites (www.headfi.org to name one) that had much better search options.

Back