Removing Labels...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cleaned 4 cases last weekend. I followed Charlies Papazian's instructions 1 cup ammonia for 5 gallons of water. I made a double batch. I have a kegger tub that holds 1.5 cases. I put the bottles in for an overnight soak, outside. Took three nights

In the morning, using rubber gloves, I lifted them out. I would say half the labels fell off the others wiped off. Bottles were; Sam Adams, Pete's Wicked Ale, Bud & Bud Light. After wiping them off I dropped them in another tub w/ just water to rinse most of the ammonia off. Later I used a jet bottle washer to thoroughly rinse.

This weekend I plan to jet wash again, sanitize, brush, and then bottle my continental pilsner. :)

I use no rince sanitizer in a mop sink. I soak them for a few days to a few weeks depending on how quick I need bottles. Last week on vacation and cleaned labels off after a few hours Worked really well for the ones that don't need a lot of work like New Belgian. Also use a SOS pad to get off the glue.:ban:

just did a bunch of random commercial sixpacks, so im posting observations, cause i asked about this last week before searching and finding this thread :(

anyway, what turned out to be the easiest to remove was the sam adams everyone had issues with. obviously their label application techniques must not be as consistant as their brew recipies :) Anchor steam, RedTail Ale, and Blue Heron were almost just as easy. soak 10mins in hotwater with some beerbrite and they just peel right off, and a couple swipes with the scotchbrite pad to get any of the left over adhesive on the bottle off. the only ones i gave up on were the Potomac Patowmack ales. the glue is superthick and sticky/gooey like contact cement. they must use elephant semen on those 'effers geez!

I think the New Belgium beers (Fat Tire, 1554, Sunshine, Blue Paddle, etc.) come off the easiest. 10 minutes in water, hot or cold, and they slide right off.

For all others, I find 30 minutes in room temperature water and one of these razor blade scrapers takes them off with ease.

0202500.jpg

Back