is this normal for side arms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben the brewman

Reaction score
i have a cascade plant that is growing great and has some side arms growing on it. my question is how long will side arms get. i have some bines that the tip has been damaged on and the side arms are taking over for the bine others are aren't damaged are just short. here are pics of each let me know from your experiences

SNC11104.jpg

SNC11105.jpg

I've yet to have a growth tip damaged, but from what I've read here it seems that the sidearms grow early in an attempt to continue the upward climb. If you have a damaged bine, try to train those up the rope. I'm interested to find out if they will put out leaves if they grow up the twine.

My sidearms currently look like the first picture, only to spring out next month.

I have one sidearm that has gone crazy. It found a twine and is probably 4' long right now... I'm just gonna let it do its thing. The main bine is growing as quickly as ever too.

One of the two bines on my Cascade was damaged and the whole plant has gone crazy with side arms, even the undamaged bine. I must have a dozen total shoots and some are a foot or two long. I've just been traning them along side the main bines. The whole thing is more like a braid now with some side arms wrapping around the spport line and others wrapping around the bine or even other side arms.

I've yet to have a growth tip damaged, but from what I've read here it seems that the sidearms grow early in an attempt to continue the upward climb. If you have a damaged bine, try to train those up the rope. I'm interested to find out if they will put out leaves if they grow up the twine.

My sidearms currently look like the first picture, only to spring out next month.

if you look at the pic you can see that it has already put out some leaves they are still spreading out but they are there

One of the two bines on my Cascade was damaged and the whole plant has gone crazy with side arms, even the undamaged bine. I must have a dozen total shoots and some are a foot or two long. I've just been traning them along side the main bines. The whole thing is more like a braid now with some side arms wrapping around the spport line and others wrapping around the bine or even other side arms.
+1 with my Challenger - the main bine tip wilted in the heat, and since then it's been side-arm city.

what are you doing with them if they are 20 inches are you training them to grow up or are you letting them grow out.

Mine trained themselves up in one instance, so I figured I would help the rest of the sidearms. I have my hops growing near some tomatoes and one of the sidearms started climbing my tomato plant so I had to put a stop to that; who knows what would have came from that!

Mine trained themselves up in one instance, so I figured I would help the rest of the sidearms. I have my hops growing near some tomatoes and one of the sidearms started climbing my tomato plant so I had to put a stop to that; who knows what would have came from that!

Tomacco? :D

Back