iBrewmaster2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DerCribben said:
I couldn't agree more. If you don't like the app don't buy it...or do and hell, even come on here and talk about the things you don't like. Looks more like all these people are trying to organize a boycott. Instead why don't you tell the developer about what you want? It won't satisfy your need to be a critic or to be seen as a discerning consumer but it'll surely get the problem fixed. Someone is seriously even whining about a ton of free recipes? Seriously? Because tapping "personal" on the recipes screen is that complicated? And regarding having to pay for iBM2, that's the deal with software. Photoshop, office, windows, Zelda, madden....every year or so almost every piece of software that is commercially available is re-released, SOLD to consumers, with "all of those features we've been requesting from the last version". It costs money to run a business, and software development is a business. This guy added new features we'd been requesting for four years before producing another paid version. Just buy it, or don't, but if you're going to complain, just try to do it constructively instead of just being a critic or promoting boycott.

Seems to me that you're taking this personal. It isn't "whining", its called "critical thinking."

Hey everyone, (I know this is a long read, but it provides some perspective!)

I felt the need to speak out a little on this subject as, to be honest, the expectations that the App Store has created is simply unrealistic. We provided over 3 dozen updates over the past 4 years for free. How long can any company continue to do this and actually survive? It took over a year to write iBrewMaster 2 using new technologies that Apple released since our initial launch such as Core Data. Core Data wasn't even available when we released iBM 1 in 2009, and it is necessary for us to be able to implement cloud syncing in the future. The rewrite is going to enable us to provide another 4 years of new updates and features, has eliminated the need to purchase two separate apps, and provided many new features. Software development is very resource intensive, and our developers need to be paid. I honestly mean no disrespect to anyone, but I simply can't comprehend why some users expect developers to provide unlimited updates for life, for free. No other business or career field expects this from their workers. We have a very limited audience unlike apps like popular bird games which can sell 10 million + copies, and don't even require years of extensive programming updates and maintenance. Once we reach a saturation level of users, there's no more income and thus there will be no more updates. It's really that simple. Would users be happier if sales got so saturated that the app was no longer supported or upgraded and eventually failed to work on your devices as Apple continues to release new operating systems? Are we suppose to continue to employee developers to keep the app running for the next decade so that users who bought it 14 years earlier could still use the app? Again, I mean no disrespect, but there is simply no nicer way of explaining the reality. If you are happy with iBM1, you can continue to use it for as long as you like….no different than the situation I just described. In fact, we are still supporting iBM1 for a while as some users don't have a need for more or a need for a Universal App and would like to save a few bucks. iBM1 is still a great app, even though some users have felt the need to lower their 5 star rating to a 1 star rating because our developers like to feed their kids. Is that fair? On top of all of this, in reality we are actually making less money on the new app….we invested a year in a new, updated product that is selling for less than half of what many users spent for the original version and recipes. Even if you didn't purchase any recipe packs or are not interested in them, it's still 28% cheaper if you use both the iPhone and iPad apps. Would we have been better off not investing a year of development expenses in rewriting the app, as that's really the message that some users are sending.

In order to provide a few more years of free updates, there comes a time when a new version has to come out. Like several have stated here, it's really no different than a new version of Microsoft Office or other software. In fact, they don't give you years of updates, just service pack fixes or security fixes....period. It's inevitable that some users may have enjoyed 4 years of updates and others only a year or less. But there is no migration options that Apple offers. An in-app purchase was not possible as 2,216 SQL statements had to be eliminated and converted to Core Data code and in addition we really wanted to provide a Universal App as many users didn't want to purchase the app separately for the iPhone and iPad. There is no way to migrate two distinct app ID's into one, and trying to convert an app of this size to Core Data wasn't practical. Apple does not provide a way for us to sell the app at a discount to previous purchasers. (Some users have eluded to other software that have done this, but we couldn't do the in-app upgrade as I explained.)

We are forced to work in the environment provided by Apple and the app store. No company can offer life-long updates and no matter when a new version comes out, some will have enjoyed it for years, and others for months. Quite honestly, we believe we have the solution and have sent it to Apple 4-5 times with no response. To be fair to all users, users would get a year of updates for free. They could choose to continue to use the app forever in it's last updated version. Developers could charge a few bucks for another year of updates. This would be fair to everyone as every user would get their share of updates and developers would have an incentive to continue to develop their app. If a change like this is not made, we're afraid quite a lot of good software on the app store will gradually become extinct and unsupported. But hey, even without this change, our users are still getting the app for less than $5 a year. We've probably all spent the cost of the app on a good Belgian Tripel!

Now, regarding the bugs. No, we did not intentionally rush to get the app out…in fact it was significantly delayed as our original announcement was that it would be available late 2012 / early 2013. Yes, the bugs are more than what we expected ourselves and we are a bit disappointed with some of the bugs that got thru. However, we did recruit over 2 dozen beta testers that tested the app for 2 months. It is true that a lot of bugs don't rear their ugly heads until you get the production level use out of it. It probably would have taken another 6 months for testers to find the bugs that we've already fixed in just a couple of weeks. We released v1.0.1 within 3 days, v1.0.2 shortly after, and v1.0.3 is awaiting Apples review. I hope that our past response to users and demonstration of quick updates and fixes gives users some comfort and confidence that we take the app very seriously and will absolutely, without question, not stop until all the bugs are corrected. Then we'll start looking at implementing new features!

Also, user 241 is incorrect about having to export recipes and import them on devices. Once you setup Dropbox, it's as simply as tapping on "Backup database to Dropbox" on one device, and simply tapping on that file name in the table view on the other. Your entire database is copied over. Plus, when you restore a copy of your database to another device, a backup of that device is automatically taken first just in case you accidentally go the wrong way. Sure, it's not full iCloud syncing, but quite a lot of companies have backed out of large relational database syncing due to corruption. We know of several that actually ripped out the cloud feature in their software. iCloud is great for syncing calendar events or documents, but we don't feel comfortable putting our users data at risk until the technology matures a bit more.

Finally, for those that do not like the iBrewMaster recipes, we included an update in v1.0.3 to automatically restore you back to the last filter button you chose. We have always been open to suggestions as 90% of the app comes from user ideas. All you have to do is ask for it….we can't guarantee that everything will go in the app, but we certainly try our best.

Thank you to those of you who understand the investment in development and for your continued support. We will continue to make iBrewMaster the best brewing software out there! We have a lot of plans!

Cheers,
Joe

iBrewMaster said:
Hey everyone, (I know this is a long read, but it provides some perspective!)

I felt the need to speak out a little on this subject as, to be honest, the expectations that the App Store has created is simply unrealistic. We provided over 3 dozen updates over the past 4 years for free. How long can any company continue to do this and actually survive? It took over a year to write iBrewMaster 2 using new technologies that Apple released since our initial launch such as Core Data. Core Data wasn't even available when we released iBM 1 in 2009, and it is necessary for us to be able to implement cloud syncing in the future. The rewrite is going to enable us to provide another 4 years of new updates and features, has eliminated the need to purchase two separate apps, and provided many new features. Software development is very resource intensive, and our developers need to be paid. I honestly mean no disrespect to anyone, but I simply can't comprehend why some users expect developers to provide unlimited updates for life, for free. No other business or career field expects this from their workers. We have a very limited audience unlike apps like popular bird games which can sell 10 million + copies, and don't even require years of extensive programming updates and maintenance. Once we reach a saturation level of users, there's no more income and thus there will be no more updates. It's really that simple. Would users be happier if sales got so saturated that the app was no longer supported or upgraded and eventually failed to work on your devices as Apple continues to release new operating systems? Are we suppose to continue to employee developers to keep the app running for the next decade so that users who bought it 14 years earlier could still use the app? Again, I mean no disrespect, but there is simply no nicer way of explaining the reality. If you are happy with iBM1, you can continue to use it for as long as you like….no different than the situation I just described. In fact, we are still supporting iBM1 for a while as some users don't have a need for more or a need for a Universal App and would like to save a few bucks. iBM1 is still a great app, even though some users have felt the need to lower their 5 star rating to a 1 star rating because our developers like to feed their kids. Is that fair? On top of all of this, in reality we are actually making less money on the new app….we invested a year in a new, updated product that is selling for less than half of what many users spent for the original version and recipes. Even if you didn't purchase any recipe packs or are not interested in them, it's still 28% cheaper if you use both the iPhone and iPad apps. Would we have been better off not investing a year of development expenses in rewriting the app, as that's really the message that some users are sending.

In order to provide a few more years of free updates, there comes a time when a new version has to come out. Like several have stated here, it's really no different than a new version of Microsoft Office or other software. In fact, they don't give you years of updates, just service pack fixes or security fixes....period. It's inevitable that some users may have enjoyed 4 years of updates and others only a year or less. But there is no migration options that Apple offers. An in-app purchase was not possible as 2,216 SQL statements had to be eliminated and converted to Core Data code and in addition we really wanted to provide a Universal App as many users didn't want to purchase the app separately for the iPhone and iPad. There is no way to migrate two distinct app ID's into one, and trying to convert an app of this size to Core Data wasn't practical. Apple does not provide a way for us to sell the app at a discount to previous purchasers. (Some users have eluded to other software that have done this, but we couldn't do the in-app upgrade as I explained.)

We are forced to work in the environment provided by Apple and the app store. No company can offer life-long updates and no matter when a new version comes out, some will have enjoyed it for years, and others for months. Quite honestly, we believe we have the solution and have sent it to Apple 4-5 times with no response. To be fair to all users, users would get a year of updates for free. They could choose to continue to use the app forever in it's last updated version. Developers could charge a few bucks for another year of updates. This would be fair to everyone as every user would get their share of updates and developers would have an incentive to continue to develop their app. If a change like this is not made, we're afraid quite a lot of good software on the app store will gradually become extinct and unsupported. But hey, even without this change, our users are still getting the app for less than $5 a year. We've probably all spent the cost of the app on a good Belgian Tripel!

Now, regarding the bugs. No, we did not intentionally rush to get the app out…in fact it was significantly delayed as our original announcement was that it would be available late 2012 / early 2013. Yes, the bugs are more than what we expected ourselves and we are a bit disappointed with some of the bugs that got thru. However, we did recruit over 2 dozen beta testers that tested the app for 2 months. It is true that a lot of bugs don't rear their ugly heads until you get the production level use out of it. It probably would have taken another 6 months for testers to find the bugs that we've already fixed in just a couple of weeks. We released v1.0.1 within 3 days, v1.0.2 shortly after, and v1.0.3 is awaiting Apples review. I hope that our past response to users and demonstration of quick updates and fixes gives users some comfort and confidence that we take the app very seriously and will absolutely, without question, not stop until all the bugs are corrected. Then we'll start looking at implementing new features!

Also, user 241 is incorrect about having to export recipes and import them on devices. Once you setup Dropbox, it's as simply as tapping on "Backup database to Dropbox" on one device, and simply tapping on that file name in the table view on the other. Your entire database is copied over. Plus, when you restore a copy of your database to another device, a backup of that device is automatically taken first just in case you accidentally go the wrong way. Sure, it's not full iCloud syncing, but quite a lot of companies have backed out of large relational database syncing due to corruption. We know of several that actually ripped out the cloud feature in their software. iCloud is great for syncing calendar events or documents, but we don't feel comfortable putting our users data at risk until the technology matures a bit more.

Finally, for those that do not like the iBrewMaster recipes, we included an update in v1.0.3 to automatically restore you back to the last filter button you chose. We have always been open to suggestions as 90% of the app comes from user ideas. All you have to do is ask for it….we can't guarantee that everything will go in the app, but we certainly try our best.

Thank you to those of you who understand the investment in development and for your continued support. We will continue to make iBrewMaster the best brewing software out there! We have a lot of plans!

Cheers,
Joe

Thanks for the response. I love the first version. It's the only app I've ever used. I was on the fence about upgrading, but you seem like a business owner that truly wants to do right by your customers, while still addressing the financial realities of a business. The fact that you have processed three updates so far shows that you are receptive to issues and concerns. Consider me sold.

Joe -

I do take issue with some of your statements about Apple's app store and the rules. I've stated my position on this in the past. An example, you do have a way to know installed copies of iBrewMaster1, and can make a link available to those users to install a special version at a set price. You had a reminder window popup letting us know iBrewMaster2 was released didn't you? I don't have a cached version of your website, but it was only a few weeks before you released v2 that your site stated a July 2013 release. I also take issue with the exorbitant upgrade price you're charging existing customers. You are prorating everyone based on a 4 year upgrade plan, not completely the correct thing to do in my opinion. Not a lot of money, but more about the principle.

This is your software and you are free to charge what you want, however, I do believe the market will dictate if you've made the right choices. For me, I've completely made the switch to BeerAlchemy and it's the better choice for me at this time.

Regards,
Jim

After browsing through this thread and having purchased both the IBM1 and the Beersmith App... I have to say the Beersmith app works great...

I never got the IBM1 app to work.
I brew 'all-grain' and IBM1 never could calculate my fly/sparge water, only my strike volumes... without this most basic feature I chalked it up to a $14 mistake.

I don't want to be negative but I want fellow all grain brewers to know this before potentially wasting money.
Unless they fixed this issue in version 2?
Either way this is too much $$$ for too little app

Thanks for the reply Joe. I stand corrected on sync, and now get how you can get the device to fetch the updates. I'll update the post above.

I have no issues with the price - or supporting you - as you developed an app I rely on highly (iBM1) and to me it's worth having "the right tool for the job." Also I understand the amount of work required to build an app and that means hours/days/weeks/months.

What bugged/bugs me though is that iBM2 has pretty much been unusable with the frequency of crashes. I understand the app has been re-written but to me it's unacceptable to release an app as a version 2 that breaks many of the features that worked perfectly in version 1. One would think at least the core feature set that worked well in version 1 would work reliably in version 2 - which wasn't (still isn't) necessarily the case.

I might have gone a different course than what was taken for the new release, but I'm sure you have your reasons and I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything. Anyway, hope you get everything ironed out and appreciate you dropping a line on this thread.

Cheers

This is in no way personal, as I'm not interested in getting into the pros and cons of how to do business in the App Store, the philosophy of paying for upgrades in apps, etc etc. This is really about whether buying iBM2 provides enough new content and added value to convince me, a very happy user of iBM1, to buy it. It's simple economics, for an iBM1 user, iBM2 needs to provide $18 worth of new features to be worth purchasing, as I'm less concerned about whether or not Apple's business model is fair or not.

If iBM2 could do ancillary things as well as other sources, and function without tons of bugs, it'd be worth the purchase price to me. I use YeastCalc and Mr. Malty for pitching rates, Bru'n Water or Brewers Friend for water calcs, various websites and other apps for calculating ABV and doing refractometer conversions. When I saw iBM2 had all these functions built in, I got excited, but all I can rely on without any way to demo it is user reviews and feedback and it sounds like iBM2 does all these things as they advertise, but does them very average or in a more limited way than the sources I just referenced. Again, just the facts, but that doesn't add value for me as a consumer.

If someday iBM2 does do all those things well or better than the sources I referenced, and is bug free, I'll happily purchase it. Until then, thanks for your work on making iBM1 a great app that I use practically on a daily basis, and I'll be sticking with it for my recipe design needs.

Joe -

I do take issue with some of your statements about Apple's app store and the rules. I've stated my position on this in the past. An example, you do have a way to know installed copies of iBrewMaster1, and can make a link available to those users to install a special version at a set price. You had a reminder window popup letting us know iBrewMaster2 was released didn't you? I don't have a cached version of your website, but it was only a few weeks before you released v2 that your site stated a July 2013 release. I also take issue with the exorbitant upgrade price you're charging existing customers. You are prorating everyone based on a 4 year upgrade plan, not completely the correct thing to do in my opinion. Not a lot of money, but more about the principle.

This is your software and you are free to charge what you want, however, I do believe the market will dictate if you've made the right choices. For me, I've completely made the switch to BeerAlchemy and it's the better choice for me at this time.

Regards,
Jim

CBelli said:
After browsing through this thread and having purchased both the IBM1 and the Beersmith App... I have to say the Beersmith app works great...

I never got the IBM1 app to work.
I brew 'all-grain' and IBM1 never could calculate my fly/sparge water, only my strike volumes... without this most basic feature I chalked it up to a $14 mistake.

I don't want to be negative but I want fellow all grain brewers to know this before potentially wasting money.
Unless they fixed this issue in version 2?
Either way this is too much $$$ for too little app

I fly sparge as well and the original app always calculated my fly sparge volume correctly. As a matter of fact I was blown away at how accurately the default settings calculated my strike water temp and volume and my fly sparge volume. I always hit 75 to 80 percent efficiency relying on IBM software. Now that I downloaded the new version, I will see when I brew this Sunday if the new version is as perfect as the old.

Thanks Jim,
I certainly respect your opinion. But you are absolutely incorrect about Apple. FYI - the reminder popup is simply part of the app checking our website for new messages with no regard to who it is. If you push "Disregard", it simply saves a userDefault to not display that message id again. It has absolutely nothing to do with knowing who purchases the apps. In fact, Apple use to have a UDID which was a unique device identifier. However, it still wouldn't tell you who purchased the app. Furthermore, they now have deprecated that call and they won't approve any apps that even attempt to use it. See link: http://www.zdnet.com/apple-places-kill-date-on-apps-that-use-udid-device-identifiers-7000012993/ This is very frustrating for us as developers, as they don't even give us names as to who has purchased our apps....just sales counts. It's even worse that the Google Play store not only gives developers user information, they allow you to process partial refunds, and service customers in a lot more ways.

Additionally, apps are restricted to their own sandbox area within the OS. Even though we published both apps, one can not access any data to the other. You are incorrect about being able to make a link available to those users to install a special version. This is simply, and respectfully not true. The only possibility would be to utilize an in-app purchase to unlock additional functionality. I assure you that I personally sat down with an Apple engineer at an event in Texas last year and this is the only way. I expressed my disappointment and concerns to them at the time as well. However, considering that we had two versions...the iPhone version and the iPad version, we would have to rewrite the app twice again and continue to support two different versions. Even more of an issue is that you can't install an entirely different app with a unique app ID, it would have to be a new version of the existing app, which was not practical given the major overhaul of the app with respect to implementing Core Data.
Now, where we are today, with one unique Universal App, we could implement new features in the version and unlock them with in-app purchases...I'll give you that much. But we don't want to continue to charge people for new features...how would that work without a lot of complaints? It would be possible over time to purchase the app and then have to make 3-4 in-app purchases to unlock all the additional functionality added over the past couple of years. Tell me people wouldn't complain about that!
Bottom line...you can't take two distinct app ID's and make an in-app purchase to give users a new, unique app with it's own app ID. If you are a developer and know otherwise, then by all means please let us know how as we did significant research on this and sat down with Apple like I said.

Jim, we aren't trying to prorating anything. Bottom line is that you shouldn't expect any free upgrades. Bug fixes, yes...new features, no. An app should really be considered done when you buy it with no guarantee of any new features. Here's a good link on that topic: http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/04/gamers-dont-expect-free-content-do-expect-my-two-cents What new features do you get from Microsoft Office? Do you get the new version of NHL for your Xbox for free? But we aren't even taking that approach and are trying to assure users of that and make it known that we have no intention on not providing updates and have no intention of releasing a new paid for version every year. Somehow this is getting twisted into some sort of negative thing. Has Beer Smith or any other software gone out of their way to assure you that they will provide updates for 4 years for free? Isn't it a good thing to know that a company has a lot of future plans and new features they want to implement? Also, to answer CBelli as well, yes, iBrewMaster 2 does calculate the fly/sparge water and strike volumes now!
It's a consumers choice on what they feel comfortable spending and which direction they want to go. We have no issue with that...in fact, it motivates us even more to continue to add new features to be the best. That's simple competition that we welcome. We will continue to improve iBrewMaster 2 and welcome suggestions and feedback. If you choose another direction, we absolutely respect that!

Cheers,
Joe

Hey 241,
I agree with you....there should have been less bugs. The reason (not the excuse by any means) is that everything was in fact rewritten from scratch due to the drastic change in the backend with Core Data. A lot of it might look the same on the outside, but we're going to be in a much better position to update the app faster and with some new things. At this point, all we can do is work our butts off to correct everything and earn your respect and trust again. I have no doubt that we'll do that. Version 1.0.3 has a lot more fixes in it, and we'll keep them coming!
Thanks,
Joe

HopRodGR,
I couldn't have said it better myself! That really sums up everything. If you're new to iBrewMaster, you're getting more now and getting it for less. For existing users, we need to earn your business for iBM2. We have added a lot of new features such as the pitching rates, calculators and water profiles that you mention. And, yes, we have some things to nail down, no doubt, and we will have the hatches secure very shortly. If we haven't earned your continued business yet, I have no doubt that we will as we continue to expand these options, take suggestions and implement new ideas!
Cheers,
Joe

Joe -

Again, I personally have issues with the way you've chosen to implement your new/upgraded version of iBrewMaster2. And as I said before, it's not really about the money, but principles. I have purchased almost every iOS app dealing with brewing that's available. I do support vendors that support the home-brewing community. However, I'll use BeerAlchemy2 as an example, I purchased v1 and when they released v2, they had an in-app reminder to update to v2 for 4.99 for existing users. How they did that, I don't know, but I have the receipts to prove it. I'm not an iOS app developer but a Mac application developer. Your parallel to MS Office isn't correct either, they give existing users upgrade pricing of which you surely are not. I bought your app in Dec 12 for 14.99, but now all of a sudden to get IBM2, I get a special price of 17.99. Hmmm, I'm still scratching my head on that upgrade discount.

Joe, also you are NOT obligated to give anyone upgrade pricing on your intellectual property, but to not do so is strongly against industry standard. And as you so elegantly stated, you are not obligated to add new features to your software once someone purchases it. As a matter of fact, I don't think you are obligated to fix bugs after the sale.

If your business model works, fine, but for me, I will not support it and ultimately the market will dictate your success or failure.

Jim

Jim,
That may explain some things as you don't strictly have to go thru Apple with Mac applications. You are free to distribute them outside the Mac Store. Since you are not an iOS developer, this may be what has led to your confusion on the matter. In either case, I agree that the market will dictate our success, and so far it is looking very good!
Thanks again, and good luck with your endeavors!

Cheers!
Joe

I fly sparge as well and the original app always calculated my fly sparge volume correctly. As a matter of fact I was blown away at how accurately the default settings calculated my strike water temp and volume and my fly sparge volume. I always hit 75 to 80 percent efficiency relying on IBM software. Now that I downloaded the new version, I will see when I brew this Sunday if the new version is as perfect as the old.

Well I must be doing something wrong.... I even contacted support and they gave me a 15 step work around?

I would love it if you would possibly PM me with a screenshot of where this is? cause I'm baffled

CBelli said:
Well I must be doing something wrong.... I even contacted support and they gave me a 15 step work around?

I would love it if you would possibly PM me with a screenshot of where this is? cause I'm baffled

If I attached the image correctly it is a screenshot from the original version telling me how much volume of sparge water was needed to meet my preboil volume. I set the temp of 170.
image-3454174164.jpg

CBelli said:

For good measure here is a screenshot from the new version. I hope this helps?

image-3110492879.jpg

Joe,

It seems to me that there might be an easy way to satisfy everyone. Why not make the app a free trial for, say, two weeks, after which point the user has to pay your price or no longer use it? This way everyone can decide for themselves if there is enough extra value to justify your asking price.

Hi All,
I've just bought iBrewMaster2 for my iPad.
It has crashed a few times whilst playing with the recipe section, ... I hope this does not happen when I start using it for brewing a batch. I've contacted iBrewMaster Support a few times via email but have had no response.

Has anyone else experience slow response times from the iBrewMaster Support Team?

BTW ... as of today it has been 1 week with no response.

cheers
Ian

I typically get responses same day. From memory, there is a bug- if you don't have something with the water or mash plugged in- it can't save an incomplete profile and crashes. I thought there is a notice when you open it. Sort of vague answer, but that could be it. I'll play with it. If I can remember more I'll come back and chime in.

Hi Retrofit,
Thanks for the post reply. I just received a response from iBM ....
"Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We do have a new version that should drop before x-mss. We are very committed to resolving all issues, continually introducing new features, and making iBrewMaster the best brewing app out there."
Hopefully this will kill my bugs :)
cheers
Ian

Has anyone had inaccuracies related to OG calculations? If I am formulating a new recipe, I typically put int he yeast after the grains. I have noticed on more than one occasion that when I add the yeast - the expected OG changes (drops). I don't see any errors on my part, but who knows. If I remove the yeast, the OG does not revert to the higher number. I'm stumped.

I haven't noticed this but will pay attention next time. Have you contacted the developers with this issue?

I still can't import my old DB from version 1 :(

Is there a needed file format or something I'm missing?

I recently contacted customer support on this app and just got a rather interesting reply in return...

Briefly before I post our conversation I will point out I bought this app shortly after it was released and I really did have high hopes for it but after their incredibly negative response to my feedback I'm done with their product.

Here was my initial feedback. Sure it wasn't the most kind of feedback but I'm not sure it warranted the response it got...

On Jan 11, 2014 at 4:14 pm <[email protected]> wrote:

With the most recent update you pretty much broke the iphone version. I can't even see what I'm typing here. Additionally I can't change my equipment profile so that I can get a proper mash temperature. Additionally, I can't actually import a backup on my iPad (this could be fixed if you'd just use iCloud like normal developers). Also the iPad is wonky too. I can't actually change the god awful color scheme on that device. There are numerous more problems as well. I have stuck with this app expecting it to function as advertised but as it stands I am going to have to pursuer a refund through Apple or through other means and report this app as never functioning how it says it should.

Here was their response:

On Jan 13, 2014, at 12:54, The iBrewMaster Team <[email protected]> wrote:

Go get your refund from Apple Scott, cuz we don't need your badgering comments about "being normal developers". Perhaps you could be a normal person who knows how to integrate with society instead of being an who feels it's appropriate to go throwing around such comments.

You have no idea what you are talking about or what broke what, and I would have been glad to explain it to you had you been a normal human being, but quite honestly, we don't want users like you so please pursue your refund with Apple.

While you're at it, ask them how many things their iOS7 broke when developers recompiled for it. Take a minute to search the internet on thousands of developers complaining about what features Apple broke in their compilation system for iOS7. And perhaps research how to be a normal person.
Helpful? Click to give The iBrewMaster Team thanks!

And just for fairness sake here was my response I just sent them.

I sure hope your kidding with this drivel. I purchased your product very quickly after you released it. I have contacted your customer support and worked through an iCal problem with you. I've patiently waited for the promised features. Unfortunately, we are still left with an incomplete product that we paid nearly $20 for. Additionally, instead of working on basic features you go and goof around with color schemes? Are you kidding me? How in the world does that make sense to prioritize something that isn't broke?

Here is the problem, it appears as if the developers only half attempted to create a quality product that you could push out and ride on the coattails of your previous successful release. This is an incredibly pathetic and thinly veiled money grab if I ever did see one.

Additionally, I truly hope you are kidding with whining about Apple breaking their compiler system. That is an incredibly weak excuse. A company, any company, should not be attempting to pass off their short comings onto another company. Let's put it this way: if they broke THEIR software so bad why are other developers not releasing severely broken products. Sure they might complain about it but they make do with what they were given.

Needless to say, your snide comments back without even a simple explanation other than it is not your fault tells countless stories. Maybe you should do a little bit of google searching and realize that your product is not faring very well and all of the problems and suggestions I made have been hashed out repeatedly. Of course the biggest and apparently most offensive suggestion was to use iCloud which if you did a google search I'm sure you would find is the most common method for backing things up as well as for multi-device integration.

Lastly, so you are not surprised I will of course be pursuing a refund as of now and I will also be posting this conversation to the internet with a buyer beware. Please understand that I truly had hoped that your product would improve overtime but it has not and now I can see why.

Regrettably,

Scott

I hope all of the bbcode works as I'm doing this from my phone. I'm not posting this so much as to flame them but more as a buyer beware. Of course YMMV when it comes to dealing with this company and their product but I for one have given them as many "chances" as my patience would allow.

And just for good measure just as I posted my previous message I got this email:

Hey Scott,
One of my user support employees came to me with your e-mails and her response. While I certainly understand her knee jerk reaction to these of the term "normal developer", I still do not condone her response and will certainly address it. I will look further into this situation and get back to you shortly today.

I truly apologize for her overreaction, and wanted to let you know that I am currently addressing the issue and reviewing the e-mails.

Thank you,
Joe Cannici
President
iBrewMaster, Inc.

Wow miguy96b, what a horrible, snarky response. Your first email was not all that negative either.

iBM2 is a mess. Unfortunately it has been since it was released. I have many of the same issues as you in it - can't see what you're typing, constant crashing, can't change the fugly appearance, etc. It's a shame because iBM1 still works perfectly, though I no longer use it either.

I have to disagree - the original email complaint was pretty obnoxious. It comes across quite attacking without recognizing there are humans on the other side. Of course the reply is unfair as well

I've attempted to respond twice now with the app crashing both times. Here goes try three!

Since my initial post the president has personally apologized, acknowledged the programs problems and road mapped the planned fixes. The CSR, whom I've worked with extensively has also apologized.

As to whether the initial feedback was obnoxious that is for you to decide. I will point out those of us who bought the app a year ago at release for $18 expecting to be able to do what the product said it could do in the features were sorely disappointed. Most of the features didn't work or were not implemented yet. Then over the course of this last year the company seemed to break more basic features when trying to add other nonessential functions such as color schemes. I'm guessing your either not an early adopter of this software if you are even a user at all. If you are then I commend you for not getting frustrated with this software over the course of this last year like I and so many other users have. When I first contacted the company last year I worked through numerous correspondences to help get some of the functions working. But after a year of not even getting some basic functions like equipment profile editing to work on my iPhone I felt they needed to know how broke I, one of their initial supporters, felt their software was. Could I have changed my word choice? Sure. Would it have had the same impact? No one knows but, whether the initial feedback was "obnoxious" or not it registered with the companies president and he has acknowledged that there are some issues and he agrees with how frustrating it is for them and their customers. He also personally offered me a refund but I declined after he explained to me their future roadmap for the software.

On another note I've since began to speak with Mr. Cannici on strictly personal matters and have found he is a very approachable customer focused individual and I look forward to discussing more non-ibrewmaster topics with him.

I am an early adopter - owned ibm1 and bought ibm2 the first week it was available. I agree entirely with the complaints/concerns about the software, I just disagree with your language. No need to be rude as I'm quite sure the people on the other end of your email had no desire to make a bad product. As I said, I agree that the product is lacking - just said agree with the approach.

I'm frustrated since I want to upgrade to have the dual-functionality, but I already have iBM 1. If I buy iBM 1 on my iPhone, will I be able to go back and forth on my iPad?

Back