Just started my first home brew cider, as basic a setup as it gets. Will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumo

Reaction score
After being introduced to home brew cider by a family member I thought I would give it a go. I looked at some equipment online and have ordered some pressure valves and yeast etc.

However, I was impatient so started some today with what equipment I had sitting around the kitchen.

I used: clean glass water jar; 1L store bought pasteurised apple juice; 100g (roughly) brown sugar; 1/2 teaspoon bakers yeast.

I added all this to the glass jar, left a couple of inches at the top, mixed it all up and put some clingfilm loosly over the jar, sealed it with an elastic band and made one small hole with a pin in the centre of the clingfilm. It's now sitting in a dark cupboard.

This is put together from recipes on various websites.

So....I'm not expecting the perfect brew, but: will this ferment? Have I done something completely flawed? If it does work I'm expecting something dry and probably a bit bread-yeasty, is that a correct prediction?

Forum looks great BTW!

it will will probably ferment, but not so sure its going to taste good

It should work fine. You might end up with a bit of a mess, might be better to keep it in a sink until you're sure it won't blow off. It's probably unlikely, but a lot of mess if it does happen.

Sounds like one of my first cider brews. I used a baloon with pinholes instead of the cling film tho ;). It'll be drinkable, but nothing to write home to mom about.

-Kingboomer

Back