Question about late malt additions (last 15min)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mliptack

Reaction score
I've been brewing quite a bit more the last few months, I haven't made the plunge to all grain yet.

I've been trying to replicate really pale beers so I have been adding about 20% of my malt in the beginning as usual and the remaining at about 15-20 minutes (depending on what I'm brewing, or if I forgot). When I add the malt the wort stops boiling, on my burner it takes about 7-10min to get back up to boiling. Should I count this time as part of my boil? Or should I pause my time until boiling resumes?

I usually preheat my malt so it resumes faster. Right now I continue as if the boil is still going (because the temp is only a few degrees lower than boiling)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Max

I've been brewing quite a bit more the last few months, I haven't made the plunge to all grain yet.

I've been trying to replicate really pale beers so I have been adding about 20% of my malt in the beginning as usual and the remaining at about 15-20 minutes (depending on what I'm brewing, or if I forgot). When I add the malt the wort stops boiling, on my burner it takes about 7-10min to get back up to boiling. Should I count this time as part of my boil? Or should I pause my time until boiling resumes?

I usually preheat my malt so it resumes faster. Right now I continue as if the boil is still going (because the temp is only a few degrees lower than boiling)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Max

You could add the extract at flameout, and avoid the issue altogether.

Otherwise, yes, pause the time.

You could add the extract at flameout, and avoid the issue altogether.
don't you want to boil the extract for some amount of time, to sanitize it? if you start to add at flamout, by the time you finish adding all the extract the wort won't be at boiling anymore.

btw, i'm assuming liquid malt extract here. DME could be added quickly, but LME takes a while to spoon everything out.

Yes LME, should have specified.

I thought at flameout could be interesting to help drop the temp, but I don't think I'll be getting the cold break I want, unless I whirlpool near boiling temps for another 10min or so.

I don't currently pause the time since any early hops still isomerize through this period regardless of a rolling boil at 212f or at damn near boiling 206-8f

Oh also with LME like I mentioned I preheat it to about 120-140 in a separate pot of water (still in the container). This allows the extract to pour easily into the wort.

I was thinking about asking this very same question. I'll be brewing some time next week and was wondering about stopping the timer when i made my late malt addition. But everyone agrees thats not needed?

I am using DME. So i'm not going to add at flameout. Probably last 10 minutes.

So if You add the LME/DME at flame out, you still add your hops according to schedule? So your basically just boiling for hop utilization, correct?

How come some recipes (particularly the ones from Northern Brewer) always tell you to add in the malt extract at the beginning and boil for an hour?

That is the traditional way to do it, but it doesn't give you the best quality you can get... However they may base their hop schedule and amounts on an anticipated lower utilization

ok so (new brewer) do I understand correctly ...

60 min boil - late malt add at 45 min, the timer continues to run regardless of boil continuing or stopping ?

& this leads me to ask - what about a late hops add at 45 min along with the late malt add - does the timer still continue to run ?

ok so (new brewer) do I understand correctly ...

60 min boil - late malt add at 45 min, the timer continues to run regardless of boil continuing or stopping ?

& this leads me to ask - what about a late hops add at 45 min along with the late malt add - does the timer still continue to run ?

The "times" of additions are given backwards from what you describe. Instead of "at 45 minutes", it' would be "at 15 minutes", as you're always talking about from the end of the boil.

Like this example:

1 ounce hops 60 minutes
1 ounce hops 15 minutes
3 pounds extract 10 minutes
1 ounce hops 5 minutes.

That means you set the timer at 60 minutes when your first hops go in. When there is 15 minutes left on the timer, add the second hops. When there is 10 minutes, add the extract (take off the flame first and stir well), and with 5 minutes left add the last hops.

The boil does stop when you add the extract, so you either "pause" the timer, or just add the extract later to not mess up your hopping. I'd add the extract at flame out, or with only a minute or two left, to not mess with my hopping.

I tried this on my last brew. I noticed no difference in final color. I did notice that the boil was much more controllable.

If you're not doing a 1 hour boil,you may not notice much difference. I started doing late additions,& the color is def a hair lighter,& cleaner flavor. Anyway,the longer you boil LME,the darker it can get. Many on here have noticed it. I do it religiously now,just a part of a process that works for me.

The other half you added in the beginning? or at the end?

Because the malt additions adjust the pH level I always add at least 20%, if you add all of the malt at 0min do you do anything to adjust the pH level of your water?

Unless the extract is pre-hopped. Then flame out would be best. That's what I do when I use cooper's cans as a base.

I had originally planned to do a late LME addition (75% or so) for my first batch last weekend.

However, I changed my mind last minute after reading several posts here that said you only want to do a late addition if it's a partial boil.

As Jerry Seinfeld said...."what's the deal, with that?"

thanks

Sorry to drag up an old thread but i did my first extract and grains brew recently so what i want to know is:

1. Does anyone know if Hopville's late addition means at flameout or with 15 mins to go?

2. If Hopville's Calculus does in fact count late additions at flameout, can I not just boil up the rest of my DME in a seperate pan and just add it to the fermentor? It seems it would make life so much easier.

Cheers folks

Sorry to drag up an old thread but i did my first extract and grains brew recently so what i want to know is:

1. Does anyone know if Hopville's late addition means at flameout or with 15 mins to go?

2. If Hopville's Calculus does in fact count late additions at flameout, can I not just boil up the rest of my DME in a seperate pan and just add it to the fermentor? It seems it would make life so much easier.

Cheers folks
1. whether it's flameout or last 10 mins, there probably isn't that great a difference. so you can go with 0 min, or go with 10... the difference will be negligible, IMO.

2. yes you can, assuming that you add that extra DME before you pitch the yeast. if it's immediately after the boil & before the yeast is pitched, then there shouldn't be a difference. if you brew a high-gravity beer, wait for it to ferment out and THEN add the extra DME, you could potentially have issues (yeast could be maxed out).

2. yes you can, assuming that you add that extra DME before you pitch the yeast. if it's immediately after the boil & before the yeast is pitched, then there shouldn't be a difference. if you brew a high-gravity beer, wait for it to ferment out and THEN add the extra DME, you could potentially have issues (yeast could be maxed out).

Oh yeah I add the dme before pitching the yeast. The SG was only 1.051 so no big deal. Hopefully will be bottled by next friday and ready for drinking in June :mug:

Well if one is doing all extract there is nothing in the boil except water and hops! If you go by a regular hop schedule which was formulated for recipes with wort in the boil won't you get the most bitter beer in history? Even if boiling steeped, or partial mash wort with late extract additions won't the hop amounts (at least the bittering ones) have to be altered pretty drastically? Obviously this would be for unhopped extract. You would have to go to like half the hops and a 30 minute boil for all extract and maybe half the hops and maybe a 60 minute boil for partial mash? Or does the late addition mute the hops down to the same IBU's as if you had added at the first of the boil?

@ befus-No,the difference is negligable at best. So don't overthink things too much.
For example,I do 2.5-3 gallon partial boils with half of a 3lb bag of plain DME in the boil,or 1.5lbs. I then do my hop additions with "normal" amounts of hops by weight in muslin sacks. Then add the remaining DME & all the LME at flame out. Makes for lighter colors & a bit cleaner flavor. The only thing to alter is the amount & type of hops per style. The rest doesn't make much differance to the average home brew/brewer.

Back