Pale American-Belgo-Style Ale, commercial examples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xrisnothing

Reaction score
Can anyone list some commercial examples of the Great American Beerfest's 17A category?

17. American-Belgo-Style Ale

A. Subcategory: Pale American-Belgo-Style Ale
These beers must portray the unique characters imparted by yeasts typically used in fruity and big Belgian-Style ales – These beers are not traditional Belgian styles which are already defined. They are unique beers unto themselves. Notes of banana, berry, apple, sometimes coriander spice-like and/or smoky-phenolic characters should be portrayed with balance of hops and malt character when fermented with such yeast. Hop aroma, flavor and bitterness not usually found in the base style, can be medium to very high and must show the characters of American hop varieties. Color falls in the blonde to amber range. Esters should be at medium to high levels. Diacetyl should not be evident. Chill haze may be evident. Sulfur-like yeast character should be absent. To allow for accurate judging the brewer must provide information that identifies the classic beer style being elaborated upon (if there is one) or other information unique to the entry with regard to flavor, aroma and/or appearance. During registration brewers may specify pouring instructions, choosing normal pouring, quiet pouring, intentional rousing or not rousing yeast.
Original Gravity (°Plato): Varies with style • Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato): Varies with style • Alcohol by Weight (Volume): Varies with style • Bitterness (IBU): Varies with style • Color SRM (EBC): 5- 15 (10-30 EBC)

That sure sounds like Flying Dog's Raging *****. Avery's Karma might fall into that category too, but it's not overly hoppy.

American-Belgo-Style Ale ??
As a Belgian when I see all those pseudo beer styles invented by the American people , I'm laughing my a.s off

Jacques

As a Belgian when I see all those pseudo beer styles invented by the American people , I'm laughing my a.s off

Jacques

Agree 100%. Totally a knockoff of time-honored Belgo-American ales like Houblon Chouffe.

eimar said:

Jacques

Totally agree - I'm not sure why we have to categorize everything like this. I'd rather just refer to it as a creative beer or give it some cool name like your brewers do.

Totally agree - I'm not sure why we have to categorize everything like this. I'd rather just refer to it as a creative beer or give it some cool name like your brewers do.

Categories help in judging beers. Easier to judge beers against comparable styles, unless you think GABF should just award a single gold medal for "best beer in America".:mug:

pdxal said:
Categories help in judging beers. Easier to judge beers against comparable styles, unless you think GABF should just award a single gold medal for "best beer in America".:mug:

I know I'm a bjcp judge but I still think its a little nuts

Seems like there continue to be more and more styles, will there ever be a limit? Of course, category 23 could become overloaded with disparate beers that are hard to compare.

Latest posts

Back