would like to start growing hops in sw ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chady74

Reaction score
i would like to start growing hops this year but i dont no where to start or what it will take to do this any help will be app

All it takes is the ability to plant a rhizome and a pole about 15-20' high. Water daily, fertilize liberally, and watch them grow.

There are lots of websites that will help you out. Freshops.com sells rhizomes and has a little information on what you need to get started.

Also, I'd suggest looking at the book "Homebrewer's Garden".

Pick up the book called "Homegrown Hops", it has some great info too. I'm in Central Ohio, and it is super easy to grow them. Certain types grow better than others though. Cascade, Nugget and Centennial do very well for me. Goldings, and N. Brewer have not yielded much the past few years.

I work with a guy who just lets them fill a flower bed, instead of growing up, and then he lets nature take care of the watering. Maybe he could get better yield but he always ends up with more than he knows what to do with. I got 3 very full grocery bags full of them last year. It was fantastic.

Back