Oxidized Hops Adding Off Dry-Hop Flavor ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
I ordered 3 lbs from HopsDirect this year (Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo) When I opened the Centennial, they seemed to be oxidized (yellowing) and not near as green or as aromatic as the Amarillo and Cascade. After I sealed them all in 1 and 2 oz food saver bags, i noticed a bunch of small pin hole sizes holes in the bottom of the Mylar bag they came in from the grower. I have dry-hopped with them twice (7 days each) and each time, I have not gotten the flavor and aroma as last year and ended up with a little of what i think is vegetal flavor. Is this because they are probably oxidized a little? If so, I may have to call up HopsDirect and see if there is anything they will do for me.

Hops should have a yellow powder on them. My understanding is that hops are good unless they smell "cheesy". I've never smelled this myself.

I am not worried about the yellow powder as this is just the lupulin from the lupulin glands. i am however worried about the cone itself being yellowed and browned.

Back