KegKits.com Electric Brew Pot Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerFather Brewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So after lingering for some time in this area of the forums, I finally took the plunge in putting together some electric brewing components.

I figured an electric brew pot that would actually work w/o modification of my current power supply would be a good first step. I was turned on to the electric brew pot kit from Tom at KegKits.com. Kit seemed reasonably priced & Tom has set up a nice set of pictures that were crazy-helpful.

Got the pot, got the kit. Bought a set of die-punches from Harbor Freight. Started on the project.

Everything went quite well, except using the die-punch set from Harbor Freight. I was trying to save some money since a decent set of die-punches runs $60-$90. This was a mistake. The Harbor Freight die-punches were just junk. The smaller one (1/2") broke part-way through the punch-process. I ended up getting a better set & things went much smoother.

Bottom line, KegKits product was great. I received great support from Tom. I expect to be doing a BIAB electric batch in the next couple week. Indoors. Wonderful for this time of year (We live on the face of the sun).

Thanks to all in this forum for some great posts. :mug:

The brew pot element kits are just the start. We will be launching 120V and 240V versions of a electric brewpot controller soon and I have evaluation units shipping out next week.

These controllers do not use temperature feedback as they are intended to manage your boil.

I have plans for a full temperature controlled unit but elease for that version is at least 3 months out.

How long did it take you to receive your order if you don't mind me asking?

I ordered a kit, minus element, on 1/28 and it's still showing as "pending" on the site. I haven't even received a confirmation email from the company yet. Additionally, I tried emailing the owner on wednesday to request a status update but haven't heard anything back at this point.

Everything went quite well, except using the die-punch set from Harbor Freight. I was trying to save some money since a decent set of die-punches runs $60-$90. This was a mistake. The Harbor Freight die-punches were just junk. The smaller one (1/2") broke part-way through the punch-process. I ended up getting a better set & things went much smoother.
Strange... I had exactly zero problems with my Harbor Freight punch set. I punched close to a dozen holes with the small punch, and 3 with the 1" punch. Like cutting butter. It really helped to oil the punches first.

If You have a Harbor Freight nearby, its not a bad bet to wage, but most all of their stuff has spotty quality control. I've returned maybe 50% of the things I have bought there because they broke shortly after using them once or twice. Their return policy and CS are generally very good though and they will usually replace it no questions asked. Just keep bringing them back till you dont get a lemon. Again...this is only worthwhile if the HF is very close to you...

I ordered a kit, minus element, on 1/28 and it's still showing as "pending" on the site. I haven't even received a confirmation email from the company yet. Additionally, I tried emailing the owner on wednesday to request a status update but haven't heard anything back at this point.

This is Tom from kegkits. 1/28 is only a few days ago and we aren't Amazon.com. Your order is shipping tonight or tomorrow.

thargrav said:
This is Tom from kegkits. 1/28 is only a few days ago and we aren't Amazon.com. Your order is shipping tonight or tomorrow.

I ordered a $15 32oz star San. After I paid Tom tacked on another $15 for shipping. It took THREE MONTHS to receive it. During which time I had left countless voicemails and emails canceling the order. It had been so long that I forgot I even ordered it. I got the same run around he gives everybody. First and last time I ever order anything from kegkits.com or Tom Hargrove.

makubex said:

Don't hold your breath

I ordered a $15 32oz star San. After I paid Tom tacked on another $15 for shipping. It took THREE MONTHS to receive it. During which time I had left countless voicemails and emails canceling the order. It had been so long that I forgot I even ordered it. I got the same run around he gives everybody. First and last time I ever order anything from kegkits.com or Tom Hargrove.

And this was how long ago? We have not sold StarSan in 4 years.

This is Tom again from kegkits - your order shipped Priority Mail tonight and the post office will pick it up in the morning. You should have your kit by Tuesday.

Thanks, Tom

thargrav said:
And this was how long ago? We have not sold StarSan in 4 years.

No apology or nothin huh. You took my money and refused to give it back even when I canceled it multiple times you condescending ass.it sure as hell wasn't 4 years ago. I wasn't even brewing beer 4 years ago you D-bag liar.

I don't care how long ago you stopped selling star San. You were a low life then and I'm sure you still are today.

Hmmm, for the life of me I can't see how someone taking your money for a product they are building/selling gets an attitude like you still owe them something or they are doing you a favor by selling a product to you. They are building/selling a product and YOU are the customer.

If anything triggers an alarm, it's definitely reply's like the quote above to an actual paying customer. Jeez. I'd wager there would be no customer support after the sale from this Vendor.

Jim

Hmmm, for the life of me I can't see how someone taking your money for a product they are building/selling gets an attitude like you still owe them something or they are doing you a favor by selling a product to you. They are building/selling a product and YOU are the customer.

If anything triggers an alarm, it's definitely reply's like the quote above to an actual paying customer. Jeez. I'd wager there would be no customer support after the sale from this Vendor.

Jim

My point is/was that Amazon does a great job shipping, often the same day. And Amazon has set a lot of on-line shopper's expectations to "same day shipping". But the reality is that most small shops, not just mine, can't meet those expectations.

It's reality, not an attitide.

Thanks, Tom

thargrav said:
My point is/was that Amazon does a great job shipping, often the same day. And Amazon has set a lot of on-line shopper's expectations to "same day shipping". But the reality is that most small shops, not just mine, can't meet those expectations.

It's reality, not an attitide.

Thanks, Tom

No it's you being an *******. That's the reality. If that had been my order I was inquiring about and you said that to me I would have canceled the order and pulled payment on it. Why do you blame an actual reputable online business for your crappy customer service skills?

As I said before. Don't hold your breath. Do a forum search in company reviews for kegkits.com and read the whole thread. It should be posted at the top of EVERY page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back