Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
I am about to keg by new batch into a five gallon soda keg. How much room should I leave at the top in the keg?

Thanks for your help.

In addition, Is it possible to prime the beer with priming sugar/corn sugar and then keg it and it will carbonate fine in the keg sort of like a giant bottle? Or is pressurizing with a CO2 tank the best idea when kegging?

I am about to keg by new batch into a five gallon soda keg. How much room should I leave at the top in the keg?

Thanks for your help.

In addition, Is it possible to prime the beer with priming sugar/corn sugar and then keg it and it will carbonate fine in the keg sort of like a giant bottle? Or is pressurizing with a CO2 tank the best idea when kegging?

Make sure when racking that you do not go above the "gas in" post, if you are force carbing.

You can prime the keg with corn sugar, just use half the amount you would use if bottling (been a while since I've bottled). The only other thing to consider when priming is to seat the seal with a burst of cO2 and vent the keg of any oxygen.

EDIT: to say that if you do prime, then you will have some sediment at the bottom of the keg, but this will dissipate after the first few pours.

Back