Original Gravity Reading is Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deion528

Reaction score
Just stated a Hoegaarden clone. The kit stated that the OG should be around 1.050, however I got mulitple readings from 1.010 to 1.030. Any ideas?

It's pretty much impossible to not hit your target gravity with an extract kit because the amount of fermentables is set. However, wort and top off water are hard to mix thoroughly so your reading will be off because your sample is mostly top off water. The yeast will find all the sugars so it's not a problem.

When I am doing an extract with grain recipe I make sure to stir for a minimum of 5 minutes (whipping up a froth to aerate as well) before I draw a grav sample and pitch my yeast....It really is an effort to integrate the wort with the top off water...This is a fairly common new brewer issue we get on here...

Don't sweat it..unless you under or over tipped off or the final volume for the kit was 5.5 as opposed to 5 gallons and you topped off to 5, that is more than likely the problem.

It doesn't mean anything...the wort and water will merge fine during fermentation.

Awesome, thank you guys for the info. It appears to be fermenting appropriately so we'll see.

Cheers.

Back