3 Quick Questions for a Apple-Honey Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjwerb

Reaction score
Made a pretty quick cider 6 weeks ago with 4 gallons Apple Juice and 6 pounds honey. Fermented for 2 weeks, then racked to where it sits now. I've encountered a few questions as I get ready to bottle it.

1) Since its a juice & honey mixture, the honey has obviously settled to the bottom...before I bottle it, should I gently mix the emulsion? I know with beer this would cause oxidation -- will I encounter the same problem here?

2) Would a cider, such as this one, taste better un-primed or primed? I'm bebating whether I want to carbonate it. OG 1.073, FG: 1.007 . If I do decide to prime it, what sugar would everyone recommend.

3) I read in BYOB Magazine to put various spices (nutmeg+cinnamon+apple pie spices) into about a cup of rum to marinate. I did this, and am just unsure as to how I add this mixture to my final product.... any suggestions?

Thanks to all for your great advice over the past few months!! I appreciate any and all suggestions to make my cider better!

I'm no expert by any measure of the word .... but my experience with brewing with honey is that it takes FOREVER to be consumed by the yeast. My first mead batch was still bubbly after 2 months of fermenting in secondary! Your FG suggests to me that it's not done, either. What kind of yeast did you use?

Made a pretty quick cider 6 weeks ago with 4 gallons Apple Juice and 6 pounds honey. Fermented for 2 weeks, then racked to where it sits now. I've encountered a few questions as I get ready to bottle it.

1) Since its a juice & honey mixture, the honey has obviously settled to the bottom...before I bottle it, should I gently mix the emulsion? I know with beer this would cause oxidation -- will I encounter the same problem here?

2) Would a cider, such as this one, taste better un-primed or primed? I'm bebating whether I want to carbonate it. OG 1.073, FG: 1.007 . If I do decide to prime it, what sugar would everyone recommend.

3) I read in BYOB Magazine to put various spices (nutmeg+cinnamon+apple pie spices) into about a cup of rum to marinate. I did this, and am just unsure as to how I add this mixture to my final product.... any suggestions?

Thanks to all for your great advice over the past few months!! I appreciate any and all suggestions to make my cider better!

I'm not sure what you mean in #1. The honey should have been fermented. You may be seeing lees (it's like trub, but with mead and wine) on the bottom. If that's the case, let it finish fermenting (it's definitely not done) and then rack off of the lees. Don't shake it up at all! You'll stir up the lees as well as oxidize it.

If it's only been in the fermenter for a couple of weeks, wait at least a month or longer until it's done fermenting and it's clear before bottling. What kind of yeast did you use?

Back