Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy the chemicals and make your own.........:drunk:

I have two of the real ones from years back....... They SHOULD be illegal. M80's are downright dangerous!!

I have this fantasy about making a bomb out of a tubeless tire on a rim. a spark plug fitting welded into the rim, and an air compressor with a propane carburetor pumping it up to around 70 psi. Set it out in the hay field and create a spark from a long way off, or use a timer. I suspect it would be a pretty dramatic explosion with rubber shrapnel flying for long distances.

H.W.

Shoot a full propane tank with a 30-30.

Don't do that. (Seriously, nothing happened. Lame.)

Well; that was back when real M80s were legal in the US. I think they were banned in the late 60's and I had heard you could still get them through the early 70's for a while. Eventually, some weak a$$ crap was marketed as M80s. Looking back I could see why they were banned. I was just a kid back then and it was a wonder I didn't hurt myself. Actually, looking back, it was a wonder I made it past puberty.

Remember kids: Do as I say, not as I did. :)

My favorite M-80 story involves me, my friends, and the miserable guy on the corner where I grew up.

He was one of those 'get off my lawn' guys. He hated kids, and was a lawn 'psycho'. He complained to my parents once that when I rode my bike around the block, my bike tires were clipping his lawn. He was nuts.

We were about 10 or 11. We got a hold of some M80s and cherry bombs. This guy had a 6-ft hedge on one side of his property. We waited till about 1AM during a sleepover. We crept out of the house. We positioned ourselves behind the hedge and proceeded to lob M80s and cherry bombs over the hedge onto his front lawn. We blew about a half dozen nice-sized holes in his grass, then we ran like hell back to the house.

All hell broke loose the next day, but since we were at someone's house for a sleepover we all had alibis. The parents swore that we were there and couldn't have done anything.

I kinda feel bad about it now, but back then my kid logic told me it was the right thing to do.

Moral: M-80s are fun - especially when you don't get caught! :D

If any kids are reading this - Don't do that!

Aerating cooled wort with a drill attachment while there are still muslin bags full of fruit in the kettle.

Don't do that.

Ever seen a propane tank in a fire? It's pretty dramatic. They will heat up and vent creating a great torch. They don't burst, just throw a lot of fire.

A friend of mine shot a small propane tank with his 50 MG caliber Barrett using an API round (armor piercing incendiary) and got a lot of fire out of it as the round ignited the propane. I don't know where he gets stuff like APIs. Fish the bullets out of the sand backstop and you have only a wonderfully hard tungsten carbide core that makes a great scribe. They I don't know what all is in one of those rounds.... they are explosive, apparently containing a tiny amount of C4 and some sort of incendiary material.
If you've never fired a 50, you are in for an experience. If the gun wasn't so heavy, the recoil would knock you over...... needless to say you use a bench rest or fire prone. The muzzle brake helps with the recoil I guess, but not the sound. Wearing in the ear protectors along with muff type protectors, it still was loud and the concussion was incredible. Not something you shoot for fun. I've got a stable of rifles from 22 up to 45/70, and nothing even comes close to the 50MG

H.W.

Ever seen a propane tank in a fire? It's pretty dramatic. They will heat up and vent creating a great torch. They don't burst, just throw a lot of fire.

A friend of mine shot a small propane tank with his 50 MG caliber Barrett using an API round (armor piercing incendiary) and got a lot of fire out of it as the round ignited the propane. I don't know where he gets stuff like APIs. Fish the bullets out of the sand backstop and you have only a wonderfully hard tungsten carbide core that makes a great scribe. They I don't know what all is in one of those rounds.... they are explosive, apparently containing a tiny amount of C4 and some sort of incendiary material.
If you've never fired a 50, you are in for an experience. If the gun wasn't so heavy, the recoil would knock you over...... needless to say you use a bench rest or fire prone. The muzzle brake helps with the recoil I guess, but not the sound. Wearing in the ear protectors along with muff type protectors, it still was loud and the concussion was incredible. Not something you shoot for fun. I've got a stable of rifles from 22 up to 45/70, and nothing even comes close to the 50MG

H.W.

Yes, I've fired a Barrett 50... my uncle owns one (Marine, freak shot). Love it.

Still have more fun shooting my lever action 30-30 though.

My favorite M-80 story involves me, my friends, and the miserable guy on the corner where I grew up.

He was one of those 'get off my lawn' guys. He hated kids, and was a lawn 'psycho'. He complained to my parents once that when I rode my bike around the block, my bike tires were clipping his lawn. He was nuts.

We were about 10 or 11. We got a hold of some M80s and cherry bombs. This guy had a 6-ft hedge on one side of his property. We waited till about 1AM during a sleepover. We crept out of the house. We positioned ourselves behind the hedge and proceeded to lob M80s and cherry bombs over the hedge onto his front lawn. We blew about a half dozen nice-sized holes in his grass, then we ran like hell back to the house.

All hell broke loose the next day, but since we were at someone's house for a sleepover we all had alibis. The parents swore that we were there and couldn't have done anything.

I kinda feel bad about it now, but back then my kid logic told me it was the right thing to do.

I too did some blatantly criminal things of that sort as a kid...... We felt well justified, and knew enough to keep our mouth's shut. A friend of mine did lawn work for a fairly wealthy family in the neighborhood and the man refused to pay him........ Very large nice house with a perfectly manicured lawn and gardens. They went on vacation and he called the local gravel pit and pretending to be the owner of the house ordered a truckload of gravel..."just dump it next to the driveway". They delivered the gravel and left the bill. When the owner came home there were 6 yards of gravel on his lawn and in his flower beds.......... and a bill. I felt sorry for the people who owned the gravel pit.

H.W.

Being the "get off my lawn!" kind of guy. Don't do that.

We make nice with the neighborhood kids. Never had any of that crap happen to our house or yard. But the neighborhood cranks--kids will screw with them mercilessly.

Don't let daddy long legs live in your man cave. I happened to look over in the corner to my left, & saw what looked like a brown recluse with the leg diameter of a 50c piece! Killed it before taking the time for a pic. YUUUUK!

Don't let daddy long legs live in your man cave. I happened to look over in the corner to my left, & saw what looked like a brown recluse with the leg diameter of a 50c piece! Killed it before taking the time for a pic. YUUUUK!

Most Pholcidae eat other spiders, though, as well as insects. And they're not dangerous to humans.

You have to put a sterno lighter next to it before you shoot. Flame + pierced propane tank = Don't do that

Brown recluse is supposed to be lethally poisonous to humans?! It was the biggest female I've ever seen!

Oh, my bad. I thought you meant it was a daddy long legs... but I read it now and I get it. Yeah, smash that turd.

She apparently ate the daddy long leg spiders? Dang, that thing came out of the Adam's Needle we have growing around the lamp post. Only bigger this time, maybe she was nesting?:drunk:

After a while you'll forget everything It was a brief interlude and a midsummer night's fling And you'll see that it's time to move on - Don't do that.

Brewed on Friday. Forgot about 15lbs of spent grain + absorbed water in the mash tun until Monday. Don't do that.

• Put a 2L stepped up starter in a 2L erlenmeyer on a stir plate
  • Take a picture of your wort with your phone with one hand while stirring with the other
  • And then try to go in after it
  • Try and lean over a 6 foot wall to grab a ball because you're too lazy to go around. You certainly won't still have a scar 25 years later.
  • Start your sparge and walk away without checking to make sure the kettle ball valve is closed.
  • Drive 90 in a 45.
  • Forget to leave a small drip of water constantly through your outside exposed water pipes.
  • Eat stinging nettles.

Don't do any of these things.

• Put a 2L stepped up starter in a 2L erlenmeyer on a stir plate
  • Take a picture of your wort with your phone with one hand while stirring with the other
  • And then try to go in after it
  • Try and lean over a 6 foot wall to grab a ball because you're too lazy to go around. You certainly won't still have a scar 25 years later.
  • Start your sparge and walk away without checking to make sure the kettle ball valve is closed.
  • Drive 90 in a 45.
  • Forget to leave a small drip of water constantly through your outside exposed water pipes.
  • Eat stinging nettles.

Don't do any of these things.

Actually, I think you can safely eat stinging nettles if you boil them first. :)

Leave your racking cane unattended while it is transferring wort into your primary fermenter. Then come back fifteen minutes later to find six gallons of freshly cooled wort all over the floor, and about two ounces in your primary fermenter.

Don't do that.

But if you do decide to do this, make sure the floor is a cement basement floor, be lazy and drink homebrew instead of cleaning it up right away, then when you come to clean it up the next morning, you'll find that it all magically seeped into the cement and cleaned itself up (two years later, and no ill results from this "clean up" method)!

Actually, I think you can safely eat stinging nettles if you boil them first. :)

Cornish Yarg is a cheese wrapped in nettle leaves. It's my 9yo daughter's absolute favourite cheese. Odd child.

Right. I'm not talking about cooking with them. I'm talking about ripping the plant out of the ground and eating it.

Which we used to do in between smashing each other's hands with rocks and pelting each other with horse chestnuts. Usually after playing conkers. Where we'd tie a horse chestnut to a string, and then try to smash the other person's conker. Always ended up beating each other with them.

Don't do any of those things.

I thought a Conker was a squirrel from a video game. You were smashing each others pet squirrel? That's horrible.

What can I say. Southwestern England was a very silly place.

:D

Seriously Conkers is a game. I don't remember seeing horse chestnut trees in the US (at least not often) so I'm guessing the game doesn't exist here.

Back