New to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jez1981sil

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently having a go at brewing my first ale having inherited all of my grandfathers brewing equipment.

I am using a kit called 'Woodforde's sundew ale'. I have followed the instructions so far and I am about to bottle the beer. The recipe tells me that it should take 4-6 days to be ready to bottle or when the hydrometer reads below 1014 degrees. It has been going for 8 days now but is sitting around 1020 degrees. Is it ok to bottle it, or do I need to wait until it drops below 1014?

I'm hoping to nail this one and eventually move away from kits.

Thanks in advance!

Jez

I'd let it sit for more than 4-6 days (more like 3 weeks), but it is possible. Take hydrometer readings three days apart. If they are the same, you *should* be good to go. If you happened to let the temperature drop significantly, you may have stalled fermentation, but likely you are done where you are.

What is the temperature you fermented at? If it was in the yeast's ideal range, you are probably done.

Thanks,

The packet said 18-20 degrees Celsius. It was stored in my kitchen and will probably have fluctuated around those figures.

Can you put the hydrometer directly into the fermentation bin or do you have to syphon some off into the tube?

If it hasn't stalled at 1.020,then I'd leave it sit till the 2 week mark,then do a hydrometer test to see if it's at projected FG. Then another 3-7 days after that to clean up fermentation by products & settle out clear or slightly misty.

Did you mean 3 to 7 days? The packet said 14 days once put in the bottles with sugar.

Yep, he means 3-7 days but before bottling. Most kit recipe instructions rush the fermentation process which can lead to many problems including cloudy beer, under attenuation (not finished fermenting) and off flavors. Most of us on here that brew a fair amount leave beers in the primary fermentation vessel for at LEAST 3 weeks then check gravity. Then check a few days later and if it the same, feel comfortable bottling. Before bottling, many of us let it sit for a while longer to help the yeast settle out of the solution leaving a clearer beer.

After bottling, you need to give the bottles another 3 weeks to carbonate and condition. The hardest thing about this hobby is the patience it takes waiting the 6 weeks needed to let everything happen! It'll be worth it

Yeah,I meant 3-7 days,I hit the wrong key. Doing so after FG is reached gives time for it to clean up fermentation by products,& settle out clear or slightly misty before racking to bottling bucket & bulk priming. Then 3-4 weeks to carbonate & condition @ 70F or a bit better. At least 1 week fridge time to settle any chill haze,& get co2 from the head space into solution.
Patience is rewarded with clear beer,good head & nice carbonation. 2 weeks fridge time gives thicker head,& longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation.

Thanks guys, I am happy to wait and get the ale right. I was more concerned that leaving it fermenting too long would ruin it.

Will give it another week or so and check it again.

Think I will use a keg next time, took me all of Sunday to sterilise the bottles.

Thats a lot of good information! This site has me feeling like a pro lol! J/k! But with all the information here, im learning a lot! Thanks guys!

Jez where abouts are you are you UK or US ? Do you have a thermometer so you can actually check the temp of the beer ? I am in the UK and recently struggled with getting an ale to ferment due to temperature I ended up with mine with a brew belt on next to a radiator sat on an Orr cut bit of carpet and some cardboard because my kitchen floor is tiled and you get cold transfer from the tiles to your fermenter.

I'm in the UK too. My kitchen floor is tiled so probably having the same problem. It's probably dropping to 15 degrees at night and hitting 30 when we are cooking.

My grandad had a glass heating element but it doesn't seem to have clear controls, so I was reluctant to use it. I have a local brewing shop so I will grab a thermometer.

jez1981sil said:
I'm in the UK too. My kitchen floor is tiled so probably having the same problem. It's probably dropping to 15 degrees at night and hitting 30 when we are cooking.

My grandad had a glass heating element but it doesn't seem to have clear controls, so I was reluctant to use it. I have a local brewing shop so I will grab a thermometer.

Even when we were cooking it wasn't making too much of a difference try moving it next to the radiator if you can and put some cardboard or polystyrene under it to reduce the cold transfer that and what the other guys said it could be finished but I think it's more likely a bit too cold for it.

Where abouts in the uk are u ? I'm Nottingham.

Thanks for the advice, I will put it next to the radiator on a mat and see how it goes.

I'm in Stratford Upon Avon in Warwickshire.

I just got the sundew and starter kit for my birthday this weekend v excited about home brewing !! P.s I'm in the uk

paulh82 said:
I just got the sundew and starter kit for my birthday this weekend v excited about home brewing !! P.s I'm in the uk

Hi Paul where abouts are you in the uk ?? You will have lots of fun brewing and just as much drinking it :) welcome.

scorpien222 said:
Hi Paul where abouts are you in the uk ?? You will have lots of fun brewing and just as much drinking it :) welcome.

I'm in Bracknell , it's been in FV since Sunday eve and sitting at 18c in a cupboard next to the airing cupboard . Should I be expecting bubbles yet ? As I have none as of this morning. I have 12 flip top bottles and a keg . #kidatchristmas

paulh82 said:
I'm in Bracknell , it's been in FV since Sunday eve and sitting at 18c in a cupboard next to the airing cupboard . Should I be expecting bubbles yet ? As I have none as of this morning. I have 12 flip top bottles and a keg . #kidatchristmas

Yeah you should have some activity in your airlock by now I would just double check you temperature of the liquid and not just the surrounding temp and also just check that your lid is properly clipped down I tend to just press the very centre of the lid and you should see the airlock bubble if its secure enough :)

scorpien222 said:
Stupid question you did remember to pitch your yeast didn't you lol ?

Pitch ??? Just got home and if I press the lid the water in the air lock moves

The airlock moves when you do that because you're putting pressure on the gasses inside the fermenter's head space. He was asking if you put the yeast in (pitching).

image-2449146824.jpg

Well,that certainly answers that question! :mug: Since you have that ring around the collar,the krausen seems to have already fallen back into the brew. No worries,m8,it's just yeast foam.

Cool ill leave it be for another week I guess and then take a hydrometer reading . The mrs done good with this present !

paulh82 said:
Pitch ??? Just got home and if I press the lid the water in the air lock moves

Good I told you to do this because if the lid wasn't down correctly the airlock won't move which could have explained why the you weren't seeing any activity in the airlock but it seems it has been fermenting by the picture you sent.

I have bottled mine up now, looks good but a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottles.

My fermentation bin hasn't got an airlock, it is essentially a bucket with a lid! Am I using the wrong thing?!

jez1981sil said:
I have bottled mine up now, looks good but a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottles.

My fermentation bin hasn't got an airlock, it is essentially a bucket with a lid! Am I using the wrong thing?!

Or you could go back to the home brew shop and get a lid with a hole for an airlock :) shouldn't be too expensive.

24 bottles filled and keg had to try a little . Tastes great very drinkable nice head can't wait for a month to pass !!

Back