Beginner looking for recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niraj83

Reaction score
Hi,

Originally I was going to make a winter warmer type beer. Purchased all the ingredients for a brown porter, but didn't have time to make it. We're approaching spring now, so I don't know if it still makes sense to make. Here are the ingredients I have:

1 lb caramel
12 oz black malt
6 oz chocolate malt

Light lime extract

Kent golding hops
1/2 oz of fuggle

Does anyone have a good recipe suggestion?

Thanks!

Add 5 1/2 pale or extra light DME, forget the lime (that's a personal thing - I hate fruity beers - use a little if you want), use 4oz of the chocolate malt, and 4 oz of the black malt, 1/2 lb of the caramel. Steep the grains in a grain bag for 30 mins at 150°F. Dissolve the DME. Boil. Use 2 oz of the goldings at 60 mins, 1/2 oz of the fuggles at 1 minute. 1 tsp Irish moss at 15 minutes. Cool. Ferment with WL002 (British Ale). Ferment two weeks, then keg or bottle. Condition for a week, then see where you are at. Should still be winter(ish) and this, while fairly strong, will not be super heavy on the old tum. No idea what to call it. But I love my made up empty the fridge beers... You'll have a few leftovers to try something else...

The first kit I ever did was this one and my friends still continue to ask me to do it again. Northerns directions are exceptional and when you call their staff are all knowledgeable if you don't understand something. If you click around in this link you will get to access the directions and ingredients. I also like Northern because they leave out things you may not need like bottle caps, priming sugar, and yeast (I preferr to buy my yeats locally so I can see the dates and do a starter).

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/honey-weizen-extract-kit.html

Latest posts

Back