Which hydrometer do you guys like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHeavy

Reaction score
My brew partner and I have had some issues with hydrometers recently ranging from breaking them to wildly inaccurate readings, even when corrected for temperature. We're not sure we want to go the refractometer route so what is out best option? Which hydrometers do you guys like? Are we just unlucky with the cheaper ones or is there a superior alternative we are missing?

I currently have a cheap one as well, but I've been eye-balling these Precision Hydrometers. They have the normal hydrometer scale stretched across three separate hydrometers, so they're supposed to be more accurate.

I have the $10 Cooper's glass one. Good thing I bought an extra one with my micro brew kit. Was shakin water off the 1st one & it snapped in twain. They've been quite accurate,but one of the fancier scientific ones would be interesting to make comparisons with.

I don't know what model mine is, but it has a built in thermometer and temp correction for the hydro reading. I love that! I know it wasn't real expensive...under $20.

I use cheap ones because they break too easily, and because they haven't done me wrong yet. Cheap works great, just make sure it's calibrated - test in 60 water. Even if it's off you can account for the error.

Would love to have a refractometer, though.

I use cheap ones because they break too easily, and because they haven't done me wrong yet. Cheap works great, just make sure it's calibrated - test in 60 water. Even if it's off you can account for the error.

Would love to have a refractometer, though.

I've got 2 refractometers that I quit using becasue they were inaccurate.

I found a trick to keep from breaking hydrometers....buy an extra one! I haven't broken one since I bought an extra. ;)

I found a trick to keep from breaking hydrometers....buy an extra one! I haven't broken one since I bought an extra. ;)

lol same thing for me....was breaking them right and left, then bought 2 as a precaution and knock on wood it's been a year and I havnt broke another one

That's a great idea! Why hasn't anyone thought of that before??

I know right! ever since my first broken one.......... many hydrometers ago... I thought that there had to be one but I've never found one and I'm not a precision:D glass former calibrator guy otherwise I would make and sell them.

12 year old hydrometer, secret is never lay them down mine always sits in a tube filled with star-san has a cap for storage. That said will now break in the next brew day!

Back