I'm Freaking Dehydrated!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
I have a weekly poker night with some friends. Last night I had my first kegged beer available for the crowd. It was a Wheat beer extract kit from Morebeer. I was proud that most of the crowd passed up the Bud Light in the fridge for my homemade draft.

I myself drank a bunch. I understand that dehydration will occur and I drank a fair amount of water. But the next day I am really dehydrated. More than usual on a beer drinking night. Can anyone think of any thing special about this homebrew that would cause more dehydration?

Like I said it was a wheat. I fermented with Safale 04. I pitched it a little hot about 80 85. It fermented at about 70. Any ideas?

Homebrews tend to have high ABV's relative to the same style done commercially. That might be the root of the problem.

david_42 said:
Homebrews tend to have high ABV's relative to the same style done commercially. That might be the root of the problem.
I second that. I had a party last weekend and I had some beer on tap. One particular family member who drinks regularly ended up pretty loaded. Most times I've been around him when he's drinking he paces himself well and doesn't get drunk. I think it was that he just wasn't used to the higher ABV.

david_42 said:

I third that. My two in primaries just now are looking to be between 7% and 8%.

:p This can't be your first hangover can it:drunk: Ibuprophen, lots of water and call me in the morning:D
I don't know but I've noticed if I drink draft beers they tend to give me hangovers where if I stick to bottlled brew I don't. Could it be the CO2?

Careful with the Ibuprofen. I dont' know about you, but I want my liver to last as long as possible so I can drink my beer into a nice ripe old age!

Yes, I do see the irony here.

Sea said:
Careful with the Ibuprofen. I dont' know about you, but I want my liver to last as long as possible so I can drink my beer into a nice ripe old age!

Yes, I do see the irony here.

Ibuprofen is also an anti-inflamitory NOT a pain killer... there's is nothing ibuprofen can actually do for you in this situation....

2 Tylenol (acetamenaphin)
2 Anti-Acids
several glasses of water...

Also, I heard somewhere that draft beer is actually better for you, if you get migraines, than bottled because of the C02... So i dunno.... I know one thing though, I love my beer.

DeadYetiBrew said:
Also, I heard somewhere that draft beer is actually better for you, if you get migraines, than bottled because of the C02...

Right, because bottles are carbonated with...beetle farts? Um, no, CO2. So why would draft be different, unless you're talking about nitro taps?

Evan! said:
Right, because bottles are carbonated with...beetle farts? Um, no, CO2. So why would draft be different, unless you're talking about nitro taps?

I think it had something to do with concentration levels and something about the head, i don't remember....

:drunk: Acetaminaphen is what they tell you not to take for hang-overs because it causes more damage to your liver, probably good old aspirin is best with something on your stomach:mug:Papazian says brewer's yeast will do wonders. So 2 aspirins, 1 pkg of Nottingham's, washed down with beer.:mug:

Latest posts

Back