Buying and storing Bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rau71

Reaction score
So I have plenty of storage space for both Malts and Hops at my house and in a spare fridge/freezer to buy them in bulk and store them. My question is : What are the ideal temps for these and expected shelf life?

From what I understand, hops can be frozen and have a pretty good shelf life- on the order of 1-2 years.

Grain, if air tight and cool, are supposed to be able to be kept for a year without degradation.

Hops will last a couple of yeast in tightly fitting bags in the freezer.

Grainwise, I have about 400 pounds in the brew room, the oldest of which is about 18 months and its still fine, and at room temp. I did find some grain that was over two years old got noticably stale.

Hops will last a couple of yeast in tightly fitting bags in the freezer.

Grainwise, I have about 400 pounds in the brew room, the oldest of which is about 18 months and its still fine, and at room temp. I did find some grain that was over two years old got noticably stale.

How do you store your grain? In their original bags, rubbermaid tubs, etc.

I've thought about buying grain in bulk now that I have started AG. As for hops, The pouches I buy in the store are kept frozen in my freezer. I've thought about buying hops in bulk and using my Food Saver to vaccum seal them in smaller packages.

How do you store your grain? In their original bags, rubbermaid tubs, etc.

I've thought about buying grain in bulk now that I have started AG. As for hops, The pouches I buy in the store are kept frozen in my freezer. I've thought about buying hops in bulk and using my Food Saver to vaccum seal them in smaller packages.

I'm starting in AG as well. Yes vaccum seal them will definitely help. Also keep them from heat and light. One thing you could do if you have some favorite recipes that you know you will brew pretty often is to pre-measure out the grain amounts and label them. That way you can grab the labeled grains and their amounts and just open and start brewing vs opening and then resealing. Just a thought.

A lot of people store their grain in Home Depot buckets with the gasketed lids. You can also try dog food storage vessels like vittle vaults.

Some people also keep it in the original sack...but just make sure it's cinched up really tight.

Back