New Belgium Belgo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 days in the fermenter, and its at 1.018, dont want too much more out of it, reduced the temperature a bit back to 20c. and had a good old taste... All i can say is WOW, I can't get the original in this country, so I'll haveto imagine, bur just wow already. bitte and hoppy with a big belgian yeast aroma currently. I'll rack to secondary after 9 days and dryhop at the same time. this will help clear it and keep the additional trub to a minimum. upping the amarillo dryhop by 1/4oz and keeping the cascade and willamette as is. fermented a bit high with 1214, as I don't have true temp control, but it seems to have worked. up aroun22-23 celsius mark. (early 70's) I also threw in some Salts to make it hoppier. I've been tinekring around with that stuff at the moment.

crusader1612 said:
5 days in the fermenter, and its at 1.018, dont want too much more out of it, reduced the temperature a bit back to 20c. and had a good old taste... All i can say is WOW, I can't get the original in this country, so I'll haveto imagine, bur just wow already. bitte and hoppy with a big belgian yeast aroma currently. I'll rack to secondary after 9 days and dryhop at the same time. this will help clear it and keep the additional trub to a minimum. upping the amarillo dryhop by 1/4oz and keeping the cascade and willamette as is. fermented a bit high with 1214, as I don't have true temp control, but it seems to have worked. up aroun22-23 celsius mark. (early 70's) I also threw in some Salts to make it hoppier. I've been tinekring around with that stuff at the moment.

Bottled finished at 1.016 perfect added more Amarillo to dry hop. Tastiest beer I've tasted

3weeksd and tasted. Beautiful beer needs more time and my temps got a bit high but when I open the bottle I get a whiff of nana bread then once it's in the glass I get grapefruit galore. Tasty brew. Taste again in a week or two.

Its at 5.5weeks old now.
Its in it's absolute prime!.
Big hop flavour, with a good solid smack of bana bread, it wont last long in its prime, so i better get drinking it. lol. It's awesome.

Amarillo Hops have disappeared now, so it'll have to be mosaic, and i'll remove the willamette, i dont think it adds enough to bother buying some specially.
it'll probably benefit from a hopstand as well, and actually using the 3522 instead of the 1214 i used.
Thanks to the poster, and well done. Since this was so impressive, I'm actually thinking about this. slightly different but hey:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/belgian-style-evil-twin-red-ipa-416907/

anyone have any thoughts?

Rebrew on this.
No honey malt here. So switching to a combo of melanoidin and caramalt.
Then caramunich as well.
Moving the 5 min addition to 1 min and replacing the willamette with centennial.
Looking forward to it.
WLP530 this time too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds good post back with results. Personally i think you'll prefer the 3724 strain.

Well, I just brewed this over the weekend. I ended up just doing a full batch using the 3724.

I see in one of your posts above that you were going to eliminate the Willamette from the dry hop. Are you replacing it with anything or just upping the Amarillo and Cascade to the dry hop?

Well, I just brewed this over the weekend. I ended up just doing a full batch using the 3724.

I see in one of your posts above that you were going to eliminate the Willamette from the dry hop. Are you replacing it with anything or just upping the Amarillo and Cascade to the dry hop?

The remaining 1/2 oz of centennial I have will go into the dry hop in its place. It a substitute but a nice addition none the less.

The remaining 1/2 oz of centennial I have will go into the dry hop in its place. It a substitute but a nice addition none the less.

Sounds good. I don't have any Willamette on hand so I was just thinking of upping the Cascade in the dry hop, but replacing it with Centennial sounds like a good option... :mug:

Sounds good. I don't have any Willamette on hand so I was just thinking of upping the Cascade in the dry hop, but replacing it with Centennial sounds like a good option... :mug:

V2.0 In the bottles, first tasteduring the week, and man is it tasty. Here are my changes:
Went all grain, and all meausrements in Metric as I'm "downunder" in New Zealand.
Full recipe here to save me typing it out. http://brewtoad.com/recipes/bad-wolf-belgian-ipa-ii
check out my blog as well.
But man its a good beer, the yeast is slightly too much at the moment. more yeast aroma than hops. I'm taking part in SJ PORR New Zealand Challenge, and this may well be a beer I go for (re-brew V3.0 of course)

Mine has been bottled for about three weeks now and it is real good even though it still has some conditioning to do. My yeast is still a bit strong as well, but each week, the hops seem to be coming through more and more. Planning on cracking open another one this weekend to see how well it's progressing. :mug:

Mine has been bottled for about three weeks now and it is real good even though it still has some conditioning to do. My yeast is still a bit strong as well, but each week, the hops seem to be coming through more and more. Planning on cracking open another one this weekend to see how well it's progressing. :mug:

Nice work buddy! Yeah another in the fridge now for brew day tomorrow.

Back