drilling a hole for keggle bulkhead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
I got my weldless fittings from bargain fittings and now I need to drill this hole.. I dont have the step bit they call for so I was thinking about ether getting a hole saw or going to the schools shop and using their drill press. They call for a 13/16 hole saw and I don't know if any place will carry that size. How did you guys drill your hole for your keggle?

I got my weldless fittings from bargain fittings and now I need to drill this hole.. I dont have the step bit they call for so I was thinking about ether getting a hole saw or going to the schools shop and using their drill press. They call for a 13/16 hole saw and I don't know if any place will carry that size. How did you guys drill your hole for your keggle?

Any of the big box stores (Lowes, HD) will carry step bits in that size. Ranging from $30 to $60. Additionally, you can find cheaper bits at Harbor Freight, but if there is not one nearby you will have to order it.

Ugh I should have bought a step bit when i got my fittings only $15 at bargain fittings.

Any of the big box stores (Lowes, HD) will carry step bits in that size. Ranging from $30 to $60. Additionally, you can find cheaper bits at Harbor Freight, but if there is not one nearby you will have to order it.

+1 for the step bits from Lowes or HD. I just saw some at HD for $44.

Harbor freight is way cheaper but you lose quality of the tool. Either way make sure you use cutting oil and let the tool work for you. No need to put all your weight into most likely you will dull out the tool.

+1 for the step bits from Lowes or HD. I just saw some at HD for $44.

Harbor freight is way cheaper but you lose quality of the tool. Either way make sure you use cutting oil and let the tool work for you. No need to put all your weight into most likely you will dull out the tool.

I used both (big box and HF) with great success.

I found one at true value for $30 and my friend works there so I can use his discount.

+ 1 on harbor freight bits. I was skeptical as most HF stuff is you get what you pay for. I drilled two holes in my keggle with this and it worked great. Much cheaper than the $40 one at the big box stores.

Jcmccoy said:

What did you pay for your fittings? I was trying to price a fitting at lowes and the lhbs today.
Got a keg that im ready to convert.

+another for HF step bits. I've drilled three keggle holes, 3 holes in my stainless e-kettle, and one for an additional tap in my stainless draft tower and I think it can still stand up to a couple more cuts. My first few cuts I was stupid and didnt even use any oil. 12 bucks I think I paid. They sell out quick when they go on sale though.

Well it ends up a guy in my brew club has the step bits I need. I got 2 slight glass/ thermometer fittings, 2x thermometers, 2 weldless bulkheads with 3 peace ball valves. 90 degree elbow whirlpool side pick up and one center dip tube. Cost me about $230 and I got 2 kegs for free and had both lids cut off for free.

or look into getting a Conduit Knockout Punch instead of a step bit

-=Jason=-

Has anyone used this on a keggle? Just curious. I think a while back the best I heard about using one on a keggle was, "should work."

Jcmccoy said:
Well it ends up a guy in my brew club has the step bits I need. I got 2 slight glass/ thermometer fittings, 2x thermometers, 2 weldless bulkheads with 3 peace ball valves. 90 degree elbow whirlpool side pick up and one center dip tube. Cost me about $230 and I got 2 kegs for free and had both lids cut off for free.

Jc, where did you order from?

Back