Maintaining Siphon w/ Venturi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I set up a venturi aeration tube this past weekend for my brew. It worked great in terms of functioning as a venturi is supposed to function. I may increase the venturi hole a little but in general, it worked great to aerate the wort.

The problem was that it didn't create/maintain a siphon. I have a dip tube in my kettle so a siphon is critical in order to extract all of my wort. I lost a gallon or so of wort because of this lack of siphon.

When I was testing out the venturi tube, I tried flipping it (see pic) so the venturi part was below the bottom of the kettle, but when I did that, the water just flowed out of my venturi hole.

So again, it worked perfectly to aerate the wort as set up in the pic below, but didn't create a siphon. Any thoughts on how I can achieve both?

aerate.jpg

lol... quite an easy solution i didn't think about!! at that point there's not much wort left anyway so no big deal to non aerate it i suppose.

thanks!

It's too far up on the siphon hose, you need it closer to the bottom to maintain a siphon the whole time.

How large is the hole and what is your flow-rate? The hole shouldn't be too big

I created one in a piece of old racking cane with a hot paper clip. Mine is near the end of the siphon tube and it works really well!
DSC6067.jpg

The trick is the hole has to be below the bottom of your pot, (really, below the bottom of your diptube). Otherwise, you'll break the siphon. Other than that there are no real rules on how low it has to be, just below the bottom of the diptube.

The trick is the hole has to be below the bottom of your pot, (really, below the bottom of your diptube). Otherwise, you'll break the siphon. Other than that there are no real rules on how low it has to be, just below the bottom of the diptube.

But the farther down it is, the stronger the siphon is before it gets broken/interrupted by the venturi.

well the problem was that the water (i used water to test) came out of the hole when i placed it further down the siphon tube.

i'll play with it again and try to find something that works.

to answer the question asked, it's a very small hole. about the size of a paper clip.

Back