Substitute for Crystal 45?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johntangus

Reaction score
Hi, i'm going to be making the Pliny the Elder clone that was printed in Zymurgy.

I don't have any Crystal 45 - but I do have some Crystal 15, Crystal 60 and Crystal 120.

If only I could subtract some Crystal 15 from the Crystal 60 :cross:

Any suggestions?

Use a smaller amount of the Crystal 60 than the recipe lists for the Crystal 45 (that I've never seen anywhere). This grain addition is more for color than taste.

How large is the batch, aal grain or extract?

Thanks Dunerunner, I know that some of the crystal malts have caramel flavors and some really can't be substituted. We are making a 15 gallon batch - all grain. Almost 50 lbs. of grain!!

Use a smaller amount of the Crystal 60 than the recipe lists for the Crystal 45 (that I've never seen anywhere). This grain addition is more for color than taste.

How large is the batch, aal grain or extract?

+1, it's only going to add a touch more caramel flavor, probably the biggest impact would be on color(and that should be minimal) if that's a concern.

Back