Late DME addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmb5x4

Reaction score
I'm going to do a full boil with DME. Do I need to remove from heat to do this?

In my experience DME just floats anyway so scorching isn't really a problem, and I don't really want to interrupt the boil by stopping it and stirring in the DME for 5 minutes. This seems like it would mess up hop utilization pretty bad.

You dont have to remove it, but be real careful becuase DME likes to foam up if added during the boil. If you add it during the boil add in small amounts at a time and be ready to yank that pot off the heat to keep it from boiling over.;)

Eric.

You could also do the DME addition at flame out. Or when the boil is done. I do this myself. I read on here some where that as long as the DME is in the wert at a temp above 165F for a few mins that it is pasturized and you dont have to boil it. Do a search for flame out exstract additions.:mug:
Eric.

You could also do the DME addition at flame out. Or when the boil is done. I do this myself. I read on here some where that as long as the DME is in the wert at a temp above 165F for a few mins that it is pasturized and you dont have to boil it. Do a search for flame out exstract additions.:mug:
Eric.

I've thought about this, but it takes me forever to get the DME fully dissolved. It just clumps up and I have to stir it forever, and I don't really want to do this while the wort is hot and vulnerable.

Thanks for the advice. I might just start adding the extract at 15 minutes in real small amounts, although, I've been doing early extract additions before now and they've come out fine.

it takes me forever to get the DME fully dissolved. It just clumps up and I have to stir it forever,

I had this problem and posted here asking for help. Someone suggested adding it in a pound (or a little less) at a time and using a wire whisk to dissolve it before adding the next pound. It will still take a few minutes - and you'll get a little sore from all that whisking - but it's still much faster than dumping it all in at once.

+ 1 on the whisk. I use a whisk when stirring in DME and the clumps don't last long. It might be tiring, but it's a labor of love, right.

Back