Adding Coffee during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinarphan

Reaction score
I want to add cracked coffee beans to the fermentation post high krausen but am worried about contamination.... suggestions?

Instead of adding coffee beans, why don't you brew some coffee and add that?

If it is mostly aroma you are looking for, I don't know that you need to worry much, if fermentation is done. You might consider putting your beer in secondary, chilling it, then adding the beans. This way, you've shut the yeast and any contaminants that might be on the beans.

In any case, I would suggest waiting until fermentation is complete. Then you won't need to worry about contamination.

I just been reading about alcohol extraction for these kinds of ingredients and it sounds like a good way to do it. I've added it to the end of the boil before but was just looking to try something different.

After high krausen, you shouldnt have to worry too much about contamination, but you could just soak the beans in vodka or scotch to kill any beasties just as an insurance policy.

I have found for me that adding coffee to the secondary for 12-24 hours right beofre bottling gives the best/freshest and most stable coffee aroma. I haven't had an issue with contamination, but that isn't to say there isn't a chance.

Back