Mini-Fridge Kegerator: Sanyo, Frigidaire...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperbrew

Reaction score
Background: I'm planning on a pub room build, which gives me no reason not to move to kegging. I plan on a 4 tap system to store underneath the bar/counter, running the lines up through the bar and into a homemade Irish Coffin Box. Originally I was just going to go with a keezer build since it could easily hold all kegs, CO2 tanks, and still have room for an extra keg for lagering/carbonating. After posting the idea and reading some more, the inconvenience of the top loading freezer under a bar seemed to outweigh the perks of having everything in one place. So I'm now leaning towards using two mini fridges, which would allow me access to the kegs without having to pull them out from underneath the bar.

Question: What mini-fridge recommendations do y'all have based on personal experience? From what I can tell the Sanyo 4912M is one of the most popular, and I also noticed some posts on the Frigidaire FRC445GB. Online reviews have been "average", usually with a few awful reviews and a few good reviews. So I'm seeking out advice from anyone that's used there's for a kegerator, to see what problems y'all might have run into. If you could add to your posts how long you've had it, purchased new or used, and whatever else might be helpful in making a decision. If you have another fridge that you think is just as good, by all means throw it out there.

And while I'm always checking CL for used ones, here is what I've found for each new:

Sanyo : $190

Fridgidaire : $180

I got a scratch and dent Haier Kegerator for not a whole lot more than those new prices for the mini fridges on Ebay. Just search Haier kegerator. The seller is in North Western WA and I am not affiliated. He basically has a deal with Haier that he gets the units that have taken shipping damage to sell wholesale. The unit I got has one dent the size of maybe a quarter in the side, but is otherwise fine.

The advantage of the Haier kegerator is it fits 3 cornies plus a 5lb co2 bottle.

The 4912 supposedly has been discontinued, but Fry's still shows as carrying it and I know how popular it is/was for kegerator conversions so I thought I'd post it. I've actually found 2 on CL that I might be able to pick up, I'm just always worried I'll buy it used and it will crap out after a few months or something. But I guess I'm just a frugal worrier like that.

I just picked up a Sanyo 4912 from my local Fry's last week. It was the last one they had in stock though. In the store it was priced at about $250, but if you order online for store pick up it was $189.99.

Back