Blackberry Beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gargon

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had experimented with Blackberry flavoring.
i have a wiezen kit was thinking of adding some flavoring to it?
it would sound tasty with a wheat beer. any idea's? or maybe combo it with some spices?

Blackberries go well with wheat beer. I recommend real fruit added to the secondary instead of the extract. The extracts leave a fruit-like flavor, but is seems medicinal to me, sort of like cough syrup. But the extract is much easier to add - just add to the bucket at bottling time and rack the beer on top.

Blackberry in a wheat can stand by itself, no spices needed. You'll get much better flavor from a pound of frozen berries than any extract flavoring.

Blackberry is also good in stouts.

I added Oregon Fruit Blackberry Puree right at the end of my boil and it came out nice. Fruit adds a fruity flavor though, where extract adds pure aroma.

Note: Make blackberry weizen.
Check.
I have 2 blackberry bushes in my back yard with berries starting to emerge. I doubt we'll get more than 2 lbs since they're relatively new, but fresh blackberries in the secondary sounds PERFECT!

Blackberry wheat is perfect for summertime drinking.

Blanch those black berries and put them in the freezer before you add them to your secondary.

And get some cheesecloth or something to go over the end of your racking cane for when you rack the beer out of the secondary so you leave the fruit pulp behind as much as possible.

2#s of Black Berries is what I used last year, and it was good but a bit too much. I will probably do only a pound this year. Or else I might go ahead and use 2#s of Black Berries, but make a double batch ( 10 gallons ) instead.

Black Berry Wheat really goes fast. Last year I bottled mine around the middle of June to drink Independence day. Opened the first bottle about 9:00 AM on Friday July 4th and had finished 1/2 the batch by the time it got dark - drank the other 1/2 of the batch by Sunday afternoon.

Man it really is good, goes wonderful with summertime food like burgers, watermellon, ice cream, cobbler, pie, etc...

Last year I bottled it, this year I'm going to keg it and serve it on the boat for 4th of July boating, swimming, eating, drinking and fireworks.

Here's the extract recipe I came up with for blackberry wheat, what did you do mutilated?

3 lbs wheat dme
2 lbs light dme
.5lbs belgian wheat(steeped)
.5lbs flaked oats(steeped)

1 oz willamette hops(.5@60, .5@10)
4 lbs blackberries(secondary)
american wheat yeast
corn sugar for priming

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.6%
IBU: 20