So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a citra apollo and strata NEIPA today!
20200216_075842.jpeg

I've used it in a brown ale before. Is there something I should be aware of? I'm not seeing anything stand out when i search about nottingham yeast
The Nottingham yeast is a beast! If you do not use a blow off tube, you will wish you did. It is a very strong yeast that finishes quickly. My first go with that yeast last month in a porter resulted in a lot of cleaning that could have been avoided with a blow off.
Eric

Brewed a 13.5L batch (into FV) Fat Tire clone BIAB with my trusty Gigawort and batch sparging. Mashed at 154 for 60 min @ mash pH 5.4. Mostly 2 Row Pale, Fawcett malted oats, Simpsons DRC, Franco-Belges Kiln Amber, Crystal 75, Challenger and Fuggles. Inocluated with a 1L White Labs WLP515 Antwerp Ale Yeast starter with fermentation temp control set at 68°F. About 14 SRM, 15 IBU, looking and tasting great. OG 1.056. Hoping for greatness!

Last edited:
Brewed a Dry Irish Stout earlier today. Hit all my numbers almost dead on. Using WLP007 yeast, first evidence of airlock activity started in under four hours.

One thing unexpected though was a cow running through my backyard (the 6th fairway). It was seen running down my quiet street prior to cutting between two houses and onto the fairway. Last seen heading northwest. Police were about five minutes behind.

20200216-162537.jpg

I experimented a bit on Saturday. Where I live, malt is not available & there are no HB shops nearby. So I have been making own malt for sometime. I made green malt from red wheat - about 2 KG & some malted white maize/corn. When I was drying up the malt in sun, I tasted a few wheat acrospire and they tasted sweet and had fruity aroma. I thought that I got to use them fresh. So I managed to get rid of lot of rootlets by drying in sun with lot of breeze. I live near the ocean and it gets windy. I used a food processor for the green malt and it wasn't difficult, had a add little water. Used BIAB, tossed in some corn flakes. The mashing was done at 50c - 10 minutes, 63c - 30 minutes, 70c - 30 minutes and sparged with 2 litres of 75c water, followed by little cold water wash to extract remaining sugars. Added 2 KG of DME & cold water directly to it to make 23 litres batch with OG of 1.047. No boil was done. DME can be dissolved without heating it, just stir it. By stirring, also oxygenated the wort.
I made a 10 min boil hops tea with 1oz Chinook & 1/2oz columbus hops and added to the fermenter I tasted the wort before pitching in the yeast and it tasted quite well, no grassy feeling. Pitched US-05 slurry from the last batch. It took off in a few hours & is fermenting vigorously. Will dry hop with citra & fresh orange peels later & post updates on how the flavour turns out to be.
IMG_0801.jpg
IMG_0798.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg

glad there's more homemalters....i get so lonely, lol

edit: and green malt will taste green, need to get it dry then kiln it at ~170f......
Thanks for the information. I tried reading about it, but it seems not many people have left a feedback about how the beer turns out to be. Usually I use my oven to dry/toast but this time, the temptation took over after tasting a few berries.

Brewed a Dry Irish Stout earlier today. Hit all my numbers almost dead on. Using WLP007 yeast, first evidence of airlock activity started in under four hours.

One thing unexpected though was a cow running through my backyard (the 6th fairway). It was seen running down my quiet street prior to cutting between two houses and onto the fairway. Last seen heading northwest. Police were about five minutes behind.

20200216-162537.jpg

The cow must have smelled and wanted your spent grains! [emoji482]

Thanks for the information. I tried reading about it, but it seems not many people have left a feedback about how the beer turns out to be. Usually I use my oven to dry/toast but this time, the temptation took over after tasting a few berries.

if you put it in the oven wet to dry, it won't have the enzymes to mash with. i use a box fan and sweater drying racks to dry it for 24 hours, then kiln it in a low oven for another 12 hours....(and as far as taste, i prefer my homemalt)

Brewed 4.3 gallons each day of a Light American Lager. WLP840 for the first day and WLP860 for the other two. All less than 4.0% ABV (WLP840 is drier) with just over 100 calories per 12 ounce. Great session beer. Estimated cost is $0.35 per bottle excluding electricity, water, and similar.

I brewed a dry Irish Stout Saturday. OG was spot on. Finally dialed in my equipment settings on beersmith and on its way to being a great Stout. I used WYeast Irish Ale Yeast 1084 with a Liter starter. Saw first sign of activity a couple hours in. Looking forward to this one.

This coming weekend I'll be doing my first WC IPA in years (I normally do a lot of German lagers). I'm actually really excited.
It won't be an "extreme" IPA - no 100 IBU nonsense, just a good, solid classic WC IPA (about 55 IBU calculated).
75% US 2-row
20% Vienna Malt
5% Crystal 40
Centennial and Cascade in the boil, and Falconer's Flight + Centennial in the dry hop to 55 IBU.
WLP090
OG 1.063

Lately I’ve been cold brewing all my dark grains and adding brew to the final 15 minutes of boil. Seams (to me at least) to soften some of the astringency, as well as not requiring “aging” for stouts and porters.

Brewing an English mild either tomorrow or Sunday depending on schedule. I have the chocolate malt portion of my recipe brewing in fridge now. Gonna try Notty yeast this time around rather than London ale to see which I prefer. Still have 3/4 of a keg of the last mild, so I will be able to do side by side comparison test.

Looking to do an Irish red this weekend; temps looks like they'll be good and I need something else in the pipeline. Also have 2 IPA recipes I was debating on, but 'tis the season for an Irish beer.

Brewing up a German Pils when I get home from work today. 95% Barke Pils, 5% Munich I...but then using Loral for hops to 32 IBU's. First brew on the Anvil Foundry, so it will be nice to get home this afternoon and have the water already heated to strike temp.

Heading far north to the LHBS that I have a gift card for tomorrow morning; hoping to find an oxygen aeration setup for less than $50. Also need some adjuncts to brew an American Strong on Sunday, and a few other little things. Weather has been beautiful the last few days, will be a nice little road trip, and brewing on Sunday will be bright and sunny.

About a month ago, someone started a thread asking about an all corn beer. Partially tongue in cheek I put together a recipe for what is, essentially, a malt liquor, and posted it in that thread.

I had time to brew today, so I thought “why not”? So, I cut the recipe down to 4 gallons (I have a 5 gallon Better Bottle) and am waiting for the boil. I’m not too worried. I know some folks who will drink anything pale and fizzy. :cool:

4ABB83D6-145E-4EA7-8C80-6F372D16ED18.png

Was able to brew Cream of 3 Crops that is posted in the recipe archive that I've been wanting to do for awhile. First time brewing with instant rice for me. Was expecting a few problems but everything went just fine.

Mash is currently recirculating on my American Strong. Get to use my 12g heavy-gauge aluminum kettle as the BK for the first time in a long time today, after adding a ball valve to it yesterday; looking forward to a faster more efficient boil than my keggle can do. I also do a reduction of about 2 gallons 1st runnings for this ale; ups the flavor considerably and adds some ABV since somebody forgot to buy the DME she needed yesterday. Also not the nice sunny morning I was expecting since rain moved in yesterday, but still a beautiful morning here in the great PNW.

Oatmeal stout today. Need blackwater for St. Paddy's.

Might take a day off this week and rattle off a cream ale to go with it.

I brewed a bit of a kitchen sink smoked porter for an unplanned brew day. I have been wanting to brew a smoked porter for a while and I figured it would be a good base for a hot pepper beer for a club competition. I took inspiration from a handful of published recipes, what they had at the shop, and what I had (or thought I had) on hand. I planned on getting Cherry Smoked malt, but the Wyermann Oak Smoked Wheat Malt sounded more interesting. 1 lb might not have been enough in a 5 gal batch. I planned for some Chocolate malt, but hope the mix of Brown and Black malt give similar character.
  • 5.5 gal batch, OG: 1060, IBU: 30, SRM: 28
  • 9 lbs (73.5%) Pale Ale Malt
  • 1 lb (8.2%) Oak Smoked Wheat
  • 12 oz (6.1%) Crystal 80
  • 8 oz (4.1%) Golden Naked Oats
  • 8 oz (4.1%) Brown Malt 65L
  • 8 oz (4.1%) Black Malt 500L
  • 0.4 oz Warrior (21.9 IBU) 60 min
  • 1 oz Willamette (6.5) 10 min
  • WY1450 Denny’s Favorite
I have been wanting to try Wyeast 1450 for a while, though I am not sure how much I will be able to identify yeast flavors in this brew. I will probably add Chipotle Peppers to half..either in the fermenter or a tincture in the keg.

I experimented a bit on Saturday. Where I live, malt is not available & there are no HB shops nearby. So I have been making own malt for sometime. I made green malt from red wheat - about 2 KG & some malted white maize/corn. When I was drying up the malt in sun, I tasted a few wheat acrospire and they tasted sweet and had fruity aroma. I thought that I got to use them fresh. So I managed to get rid of lot of rootlets by drying in sun with lot of breeze. I live near the ocean and it gets windy. I used a food processor for the green malt and it wasn't difficult, had a add little water. Used BIAB, tossed in some corn flakes. The mashing was done at 50c - 10 minutes, 63c - 30 minutes, 70c - 30 minutes and sparged with 2 litres of 75c water, followed by little cold water wash to extract remaining sugars. Added 2 KG of DME & cold water directly to it to make 23 litres batch with OG of 1.047. No boil was done. DME can be dissolved without heating it, just stir it. By stirring, also oxygenated the wort.
I made a 10 min boil hops tea with 1oz Chinook & 1/2oz columbus hops and added to the fermenter I tasted the wort before pitching in the yeast and it tasted quite well, no grassy feeling. Pitched US-05 slurry from the last batch. It took off in a few hours & is fermenting vigorously. Will dry hop with citra & fresh orange peels later & post updates on how the flavour turns out to be.View attachment 666947 View attachment 666948 View attachment 666949
Finally bottled them on Sunday. Will be ready to drink on Friday. Right on time.
IMG_0821.jpg

I tasted while bottling & it had nice orange aroma with hints of grapefruits. I think the green malt hit right on money with taste and flavours. I'll use green malt more often at least in such ales.

Back