bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkmasterchilly

Reaction score
I also posted this in the mead forum but i was also wondering the same question about beer yeast i know beer yeast is diffrent from bread yeast and the JAOM calls for bread yeast. But just wondering if u could use spent beer yeast to make bread?

So I'm making a batch of JAOM its my first batch of mead and its not done yet. But anyways I was thinking when it was done I could somehow use the "trub"(if that is even the right word) at the bottom of my carboy to make some kind of bread. Like honey oat or something like that. Would this be a good idea or would all the yeast just be pooped out by this time and cause the bread not to rise. or will it just taste horribly bad. Oh well despite what you guys say Ill most likely try it anyways just wanted to know what you think or if anyone had done it before and could give me a recipe explain the processes or give me some tips.

It will work, though I don't know how the outcome will differ from using bread yeast. I'd search around here for the yeast washing tutorial so your bread won't taste like boiled hops.

You'll probably need something like this chart to convert as most home bread recipes call for some form of dry yeast. You'd also want to remove water from the washed yeast (probably with cheesecloth) to get you closer to commercial fresh yeast. However, this might be only a starting point depending on how the beer yeast performs compared to bread yeast.

What about using all the parts of a beer batch (all the grains, yeast, maybe hops) and simply making bread with it? Would that work or would that be immpossible because the grain would be malted?

My bride has an experiment going. After I brew, we wash the yeast and make sour dough bread with it.
The yeast from my Alt is the champion so far.
We also tried yeast from a few others, one with liquid yeast past it use by date, and plain bread yeast, oh and Apfelwein. (That one spoiled)

The spent beer yeast takes better in the short run but as the yeast gets older the bread yeast seems to catch up.

Kinda fun.

After reading that instructable I plan on doing this, I will use the spent grain from the imperial stout I brew this weekend and I will use hop tea as water.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the bread for another 2 weeks because of passover. If I take some of the wet spent grain and immediately put it in a Ziploc bag in the freezer will it keep for a few weeks?

After reading that instructable I plan on doing this, I will use the spent grain from the imperial stout I brew this weekend and I will use hop tea as water.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the bread for another 2 weeks because of passover. If I take some of the wet spent grain and immediately put it in a Ziploc bag in the freezer will it keep for a few weeks?

You could make hop/malt matzos.:rockin:

Back