Going to Portland next week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacdan

Reaction score
We are going to Portland next Friday. We are leaving from Sacramento. We are thinking of stopping somewhere on the way and spending the night. We rented a house in Portland from Sat to Sat. Anyone have any suggestions for a "must see" destination on the way? We are going to go up I-5. We are also looking for Breweries that we must see. So far, we have Rogue, Deshutes, Rock Bottom, and Full Sail. We will be attending the Brewfest at trhe end of the following week.

Weed, CA is home to the only 100% female owned and operated brewery in the US, iirc.

Portland breweries have a bit of everything. Check out the Cascade Barrel House if you like sours- they tap one every Tuesday straight from the barrel. Upright makes primarily saisons. Hair of the Dog does a lot of Belgians. Hopworks Urban Brewery is good, as is Alemeda. If you're up for a taphouse, the Green Dragon and Horse's Brass are two of my favorites.

Full Sail you mentioned- it's a little ways out of Portland but it's a nice drive and their pub specials are superior to a lot of their bottled stuff. If you're going to Hood River anyway, make sure you check out Double Mountain while you're there.

OBF is insane, btw. We go every year, and it's always a blast.

Nice. Thanks for the info. I am sure we willl check most, if not all of them. The wife wants to stop in Ashland on Friday night. I see there are a few Breweries there too!

Caldera in Ashland is fantastic. In Portland hit Hopworks Urban Brewery, Lucky Labrador (on Hawthorne), New Old Lompoc on 23rd.

If you're hitting Full Sail on the way out, you can just head south from there and drive through Bend on the way home. You'll meet up with I-5 at Weed.

I think the Ashland, Medford area is a good choice ( I live in Medford). In Ashland there it caldera brewing there beer are great, and they have a large tap house down town. Stand stone is also in down town Ashland they brew on site. Medford has SOB ( southern Oregon brewing) they have a good web site you should check out I I thing they run tours every Saterday @ 15:00. Walk about brewery is Brewed in central point but distributed to all nonbrewery bars.

Check out the Cascade Barrel House if you like sours- they tap one every Tuesday straight from the barrel.

+1 on checking out Cascade Brewing Barrel House (they REALLY need to change their name, I can never remember it). They offer around 12ish of their sour beers on tap. I've never had a sour beer as interesting as Sang Rouge - complex and delicious. Although they aren't offering tours yet, they will and when they do, the bartender told me that you would be able to take tastes straight out of sour barrels and do your own blending. I'll be all over that whenever they get their tour program together.

+1 on Green Dragon. They have so many good beers there that I'd say it would be worth skipping a brewery if it meant you could go there instead. I'd posed the same question about a year ago and an HBTer turned me on to it.

Also, if for some reason you feel like going up the coast, check out Pelican in Pacific City.

It's a good thing we'll be up there for about 10 days! I have a lot of places to go. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Since you're going out to Hood River for Full Sail, you should also check out Double Mountain since they are also in Hood River. Their India Red Ale (IRA) is one of my favorite beers.

Personally, Rock Bottom is not a must see. You'd be better off with some of the suggestions already made like Hopworks or New Old Lompoc (or 5th Quadrant in NE, they are the same beer with slightly better location). Just my humble opinion though. I'll see you at the beerfest...

Take a 15 minute detour off of I-5 to Corvallis, OR and stop by Block 15 Brewing. Fantastic beers and an excellent pub.

What-no one mentioned McMinimins? Troutdale location was a lot of fun eating in the biergarden. Pretty good food and the stout mixed with the raspberry ale was tasty!

Avoid McMennamin's like the plague, unless you like mediocre beer and bad service. Only tourists go there, the locals generally avoid them.
There are literally 25 breweries/brewpubs and 25 bar/taverns with better beer and service.
You might check out taplister.com for lists of beers available at different bars and pubs in PDX.
It might depend on what part of Portland you are staying in, and everyone has their own recommendations.
My recommendations:
For sour beers check out Cascade Brewing Barrel House.
For saison/farmhouse beers check out Upright.
For a solid mixture of beers, including reds and IPAs, consider Laurelwood.
For a 'Portland vibe' Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) is good.
For a bottle shop, check out Belmont Station, which has 1000+ beers or Beermongers.
For taverns with large tap lists try Horse Brass, Apex, or Green Dragon.
Enjoy your visit.

Avoid McMennamin's like the plague, unless you like mediocre beer and bad service. Only tourists go there, the locals generally avoid them.
McMenamins is still a big part of the Portland beer history. They tend to choose great locations for their pubs. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I loved watching ****ty old movies with a pitcher of Terminator and some pizza. So many options now, I never go anymore, but there's nothing like a movie, a slice, and a pitcher. But yeah, there's much better beer to be had.

All great suggestions here! I would agree that Rock Bottom is not a must see. HUB is good for the Portland vibe--kinda, but I'm not extremely impressed with their beer. I'm glad Ninkasi was mentioned. Horse Brass is a must for the amazing selection and craft brew history. I would say Alameda Brewing is must and Laurelwood is not far here (has an 8-beer sampler). Oh, and don't forget about Amnesia Brewing.

The Grain and Gristle is also a good one for beers and good food. It's part owned by Alex of Upright Brewing. The twofer special is always good with a dinner for two and it includes 2 beers for $20.

+1 on checking out Cascade Brewing Barrel House (they REALLY need to change their name, I can never remember it). They offer around 12ish of their sour beers on tap. I've never had a sour beer as interesting as Sang Rouge - complex and delicious. Although they aren't offering tours yet, they will and when they do, the bartender told me that you would be able to take tastes straight out of sour barrels and do your own blending. I'll be all over that whenever they get their tour program together.

I'm traveling to Portland for work next week and the Cascade Brewing Barrel House is #1 on my list of beer destinations. I love sour beers and will definitely try that Sang Rouge. I also see they have a Gose on tap... I'll have to give that a try just out of curiosity. Never had a salty beer before...

I'm traveling to Portland for work next week and the Cascade Brewing Barrel House is #1 on my list of beer destinations. I love sour beers and will definitely try that Sang Rouge. I also see they have a Gose on tap... I'll have to give that a try just out of curiosity. Never had a salty beer before...

Yeah, they have a gose for every season. I've never tasted saltiness in them, though... more of a minerally complexity. Kinda like how oyster stout doesn't taste like oyster.

There are literally 25 breweries/brewpubs and 25 bar/taverns with better beer and service.
You might check out taplister.com for lists of beers available at different bars and pubs in PDX.
It might depend on what part of Portland you are staying in, and everyone has their own recommendations.
My recommendations:
For sour beers check out Cascade Brewing Barrel House.
For saison/farmhouse beers check out Upright.
For a solid mixture of beers, including reds and IPAs, consider Laurelwood.
For a 'Portland vibe' Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) is good.
For a bottle shop, check out Belmont Station, which has 1000+ beers or Beermongers.
For taverns with large tap lists try Horse Brass, Apex, or Green Dragon.
Enjoy your visit.

This pretty much is dead-on! I would also add Lucky Labrador as I'm addicted to their Superdog!

One thing about the upcoming beer festival: If it's anything like last year, they will STILL serve the beers from pitchers (could be worse) AND they will still serve in VERY crappy frosted plastic mugs.

[rant]

I still can't believe that the beer mecca of the US has an amazing beer festival that serves in crappy frosted plastic mugs.

[/rant]

M_C

Don't forget about the Oregon Brewer's Festival. Also, Cascade has their taplist on their website. Their Gose isn't very salty, just a mild undertone.

We are going to the OBF. I am going to have to make a map and "plan" out the Breweries and Pubs. I have a feeling I am going to spend a lot on bottles to take home!

Already been said, but the Horse Brass is a must stop.

Personally I avoid OBF, too crowded for my tastes. I don't like waiting in line 20 minutes to get a beer.

It's looking like I'll be able to get away early, so hoping be able to make the first day. Miss living in Portland this time of year. Couldn't make it last year. At least I've got the Bend Brewfest, The Little Woody, and Sisters Fresh Hop Festival to look forward to out here.

It's looking like I'll be able to get away early, so hoping be able to make the first day. Miss living in Portland this time of year. Couldn't make it last year. At least I've got the Bend Brewfest, The Little Woody, and Sisters Fresh Hop Festival to look forward to out here.

Three Creeks will be representing...I gotta say they have one of the more interesting barley wines I've tried, but their porter will be at OBF.

Three Creeks will be representing...I gotta say they have one of the more interesting barley wines I've tried, but their porter will be at OBF.
Yeah, they've been making the trip ever since they opened shop. The Woodcutter barleywine was great. I really enjoy the 5 Pine Porter, it's one of my staples, so I'll be tasting things I can't get locally. This is a great little brewery, and I'm really enjoying watching them expand out of our tiny market.

edit, if you can get a hold of their xmas seasonal, the Rudolph's Imperial Red is well worth it.

Went to Standing Stone, Ninkasi, and now we are in Portland. We rented a great house on the Willamette River. What a view. Yesterday we went to Lucky Lab. Today we will probably go to Hair of the Dog. Still on the list are Rogue, Deschutes, Full Sail, Cascade Brewing House, Green Dragon, HUB, Horse Brass, and Bridgeport. I am sure we will hit a few more too.

For newer/smaller ones, there are couple in my neighborhood I like:

Coalition (~ SE 27th & Ankeny): These guys have a cool program for local homebrewers to come and brew a batch on their system to be served at the pub - they usually have one of these Coalator beers on tap. I also hear they have a nice new outdoor beer garden, but haven't checked it out yet.

Migration (~ NE 28th & Glisan): A few blocks away, nice outdoor area, great beers & sandwiches.

Laurelwood is a classic - the Workhorse IPA might be my favorite in town. I've also heard good things about Burnside Brewing (on E. Burnside) and Breakside (N. Portland), but haven't gotten out to either one yet.

Back